Leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buglebulls1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2004 2500 ram with the 5.7 Hemi. An owner before me installed a camper package (I'm assuming just more leaf springs). I don't really have the money or interest to do a suspension lift so I was hoping to get opinions on the best leveling kit and how do I know what size to go with?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
On a 2004 you can just crank up the front torsion bars and gain about 2" of lift to level it out. No need for torsion keys to make it happen as they'll give you the same end result. You will want to take it for an alignment after cranking the bars up though.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
He has a 2500.
Your best bet is to go with a set of leveling coils to level it out. You can do a spacer level, but you will sacrifice some of the ride quality and feel every crack in the road. Springs will improve the ride quality and control.
Generally 2" -2.5" will make it pretty level. Some do 3", but I think every one that I've seen w/3" looks nose high. I would measure the height difference between the front and rear, then decide on how much you want to raise the front.
If interested I do have a pair of Thuren springs for sale in the classified section on here.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He has a 2500.
Your best bet is to go with a set of leveling coils to level it out. You can do a spacer level, but you will sacrifice some of the ride quality and feel every crack in the road. Springs will improve the ride quality and control.
Generally 2" -2.5" will make it pretty level. Some do 3", but I think every one that I've seen w/3" looks nose high. I would measure the height difference between the front and rear, then decide on how much you want to raise the front.
If interested I do have a pair of Thuren springs for sale in the classified section on here.

Don't know how I missed that... normally I am the one to catch those details. lol.

OP, for a 2500 the advice from NWRQC above is correct. To add to it you'll also want longer shocks to go with the leveling kit and I would recommend an adjustable front track bar as well to recenter the front axle under the truck and avoid any death wobble issues.

almond_chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a 2004 you can just crank up the front torsion bars and gain about 2" of lift to level it out. No need for torsion keys to make it happen as they'll give you the same end result. You will want to take it for an alignment after cranking the bars up though.
So you recommend cranking the torsion bars over buying new keys on the 1500? Should the shocks be changed too?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I only mentioned it so the OP wouldn't get confused by the contradicting info. :waytogo:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So you recommend cranking the torsion bars over buying new keys on the 1500? Should the shocks be changed too?

Yes and Yes. The stock keys will allow enough adjustment to level the truck and you don' t want to go more than about 2"-2.25". Contrary to what the companies claim, the ride will be exactly the same between cranking the stock keys and buying indexed aftermarket keys, it's physics.
Longer shocks along with an alignment are always a great idea.

almond_chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes and Yes. The stock keys will allow enough adjustment to level the truck and you don' t want to go more than about 2"-2.25". Contrary to what the companies claim, the ride will be exactly the same between cranking the stock keys and buying indexed aftermarket keys, it's physics.
Longer shocks along with an alignment are always a great idea.
Any recommendations on shocks?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ran a set of Pro comp Es1000's or 3000's I cant remember which one, but I was happy with them. I would crank the bars before you buy shocks to make sure you are happy with the ride, it will get stiffer.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again, NWRQC nailed it on the head. No need to buy keys if you only want to level as the stock keys will allow you to do that. Key's are really only needed if you want excess of 2.5" of lift and really you should be looking at full lift kits if that's how much height you want.

For shocks I'd also recommend looking at Bilsteins or Fox. What you want to buy all comes down to budget. Be careful with the cheap "name brand" shocks from ProComp, BDS, Rough Country, etc. All they are is a generic white body shock with the company's sticker put on it. Their upgraded shocks are normally good though.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Recently bought a 07 2500 4wd and the rear is really high compared to the front. Looking at the rear spring pack I see 5 spacers above the spring pack. By spacers I mean they are the thickness of a heavy spring but just the length of the perch. I'll assume this is all stock. I'm planning to take 4 of the spacers out. Unfortunately the U bolts don't have enough threads to pull it back together and I'll need new U bolts. Anyone who has done this has input I would appreciate reading them.

FUH900.jpg

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Recently bought a 07 2500 4wd and the rear is really high compared to the front. Looking at the rear spring pack I see 5 spacers above the spring pack. By spacers I mean they are the thickness of a heavy spring but just the length of the perch. I'll assume this is all stock. I'm planning to take 4 of the spacers out. Unfortunately the U bolts don't have enough threads to pull it back together and I'll need new U bolts. Anyone who has done this has input I would appreciate reading them.

FUH900.jpg

Above or below the spring pack? Those spacers should be between the axle and the spring pack if stock.
Just move the spacers from the bottom of the spring pack to the top, then you can re-use the u-bolts. It's pretty common way of doing a reverse level.
Moving the spacers and removing the overload will make the truck pretty level, very close to how level my truck was with 2" coils up front.

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Haha that is an excellent idea... Thanks,,

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
post up how it turns out.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Went to the shop and put on two new front tires and measured it on a flat floor and the rear is 3/4 of an inch higher than the front. I'm going to leave it as is. Drives better with the new tires.