leveling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im am kind of a newbie when it comes to leveling my truck so I have some questions.
Do I want the weight off the suspensions (jack stands on the frame) when I am removing the old torsion key? I saw a video where there was jackstands on the frame then he used the jack to raise the lower control arm when he was removing the key. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You want the front of the vehicle supported by the jack stands on the frame. Suspension in full droop with the wheels off the ground.
I would leave the stock keys there and just crank them to get your level. The end result is the same, except you have more money in your pocket for other stuff.

OP
OP
waffleman10

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already bought shocks and the keys, I wish I knew that before haha

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can you return the keys? The shocks will still work. Plus you'll need the torsion key removal tool to remove the keys as well. Once you back the adjuster bolt out they are still loaded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
waffleman10

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah I have the unloading tool, and I probably cant return the keys because I bought them 3 months ago, I bought the shocks because it said I needed 17 inch shocks instead of the stock 15 inchers

Chris E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to do this as well. Is there a downside to just cranking the bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I can't remember or find the link right now, but there is a YouTube video showing this being done on our trucks. Short and to the point. The process appears very simple.

If anyone remembers or can find it that would be a good candidate for a sticky.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I want to do this as well. Is there a downside to just cranking the bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VS replacing the keys? Absolutely none. Aftermarket keys are just indexed to provide more pre-load on the adjuster bolt at the same setting.
So say you have to tighten the bolt half way through it's range to level the truck with the stock keys. Now with aftermarket keys you will have to back the adjuster bolt out 1/4 of the way or so for the truck to be level. If you put it back to 1/2 way the front of the truck will sit higher then level.

I can't remember or find the link right now, but there is a YouTube video showing this being done on our trucks. Short and to the point. The process appears very simple.

If anyone remembers or can find it that would be a good candidate for a sticky.
It is very simple. Jack the truck up high enough so that the wheels are off the ground and place on jack stands. Turn (crank) the two adjuster bolts on the torsion bar keys. lower the truck back down, take for a spin around the block and measure. Repeat the process as necessary until it's to the height that you want.

OP
OP
waffleman10

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
So will this method work on my 2014 sport? I'm about a moron when it comes to this stuff. :)

Nope. Ram switched to a front strut suspension on the 1500's in 2006. This only applies to trucks 2005 and older.

Your best option for leveling is Bilstein 5100's.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum lift you can get out of the torsion bolt tightening trick?

clabudie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been told from countless sources and past experience from people I know with 1500 rams 3rd gen with keys. The stock keys are smaller and to get to your desired level you will need to tighten them up all the way. What happens when you tighten your keys all the way? Rougher ride on the bars and front suspension is like a rock. Resulting in more wear and tear on truck and the roughest ride ever. My buddy broke his sway bar link the following day of tightening it all. Yea the truck is 10 years old but still. Spend the $200 and replace the keys. If you don't want them I may consider buying them off you as I will be doing mine in a couple weeks.
Im am kind of a newbie when it comes to leveling my truck so I have some questions.
Do I want the weight off the suspensions (jack stands on the frame) when I am removing the old torsion key? I saw a video where there was jackstands on the frame then he used the jack to raise the lower control arm when he was removing the key. Can someone explain this to me. Thanks

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have been told from countless sources and past experience from people I know with 1500 rams 3rd gen with keys. The stock keys are smaller and to get to your desired level you will need to tighten them up all the way. What happens when you tighten your keys all the way? Rougher ride on the bars and front suspension is like a rock. Resulting in more wear and tear on truck and the roughest ride ever. My buddy broke his sway bar link the following day of tightening it all. Yea the truck is 10 years old but still. Spend the $200 and replace the keys. If you don't want them I may consider buying them off you as I will be doing mine in a couple weeks.

Stock keys or aftermarket, the stiffer ride is a result of pre-loading the torsion bars. The torsion bar key used has no effect on the ride quality, it's just a solid piece of metal that loads the torsion bar and noting more.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Stock keys or aftermarket, the stiffer ride is a result of pre-loading the torsion bars. The torsion bar key used has no effect on the ride quality, it's just a solid piece of metal that loads the torsion bar and noting more.

Exactly what he said ^^. Whether you crank the stock keys or use aftermarket keys the torsion bar HAS to end up with the same amount of preload on it to provide the lift. So either way the truck will ride exactly the same.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
How much harsher is the ride after leveling? Is it really that horrible or is it more like over inflating the crap out of your tires?