lift recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking to lift my rig, I don't want a huge lift maybe a couple of inches. I'd like to keep my stock tires for now and maybe have room for bigger tires later on. Currently sitting on stock 20s. Don't really know alot about lifts or their brands.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A level makes a pretty good difference, I'm not much for lifting because it makes it a pain in the ass loading stuff in and out of the bed and you need a huge drop receiver to tow anything. Just a 2 inch level up front makes a pretty big difference, and it's cheap and easy to do. I used the bilstein 5100s to level mine.

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response. I don't do any towing or heavy hauling

DTECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2wd or 4wd...with 4wd you can use the bilstiens listed above...with a 2wd you can do a spacer for 1"to 2" or spindles for 4.5"...like maxtrac..

erikranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2" level makes a huge difference. That is what I did with my rig, and now a lot of people have issues getting in and out.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to hijack this, but...maybe I can help the OP get an actual response.

I am looking to do a leveling kit on the front of my 2008 4x4 as well.

I used to have a Jeep Liberty that I lifted. There was much debate over using the same type of life that a "leveling kit" is, which is a spacer that goes on top of the strut (otherwise known as an "Over the Top or OTT lift"). It was generally considered an absolutely stupid idea that would eat up front ends in no time, and I had some experiences that proved that mindset.

So WHY is it okay to use this type of lift on a Ram? Have you guys just not caught up to the Jeep guys in realizing this is a dumb idea? Or is the suspension geometry on the Ram different enough or beefy enough where it doesn't have the same negative effect?

Seems to me it's exactly the same and it's keeping me from buying a 2" leveling kit. I remember the absolute horror it was on my Liberty which had essentially the exact same front suspension (sorry guys...it's the same. It really is).

Good news is I've taken apart and put back together the front end of a Liberty so much that I can do it blindfolded so if I do decide to try my luck with a leveling kit, it'll be easy to do.

Anyway - I'd like to hear from you guys with 2" spacer lifts (a.k.a. leveling kits). How is it holding up? How many CV shafts have you eaten? How many ball joints? How many UCA's? Wheel bearings?

Any input would be great. I'm not new to Mopar stuff, but I've never owned this generation Ram truck. I'll pay attention to what anyone knowledgeable has to say!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to hijack this, but...maybe I can help the OP get an actual response.

I am looking to do a leveling kit on the front of my 2008 4x4 as well.

I used to have a Jeep Liberty that I lifted. There was much debate over using the same type of life that a "leveling kit" is, which is a spacer that goes on top of the strut (otherwise known as an "Over the Top or OTT lift"). It was generally considered an absolutely stupid idea that would eat up front ends in no time, and I had some experiences that proved that mindset.

So WHY is it okay to use this type of lift on a Ram? Have you guys just not caught up to the Jeep guys in realizing this is a dumb idea? Or is the suspension geometry on the Ram different enough or beefy enough where it doesn't have the same negative effect?

Seems to me it's exactly the same and it's keeping me from buying a 2" leveling kit. I remember the absolute horror it was on my Liberty which had essentially the exact same front suspension (sorry guys...it's the same. It really is).

Good news is I've taken apart and put back together the front end of a Liberty so much that I can do it blindfolded so if I do decide to try my luck with a leveling kit, it'll be easy to do.

Anyway - I'd like to hear from you guys with 2" spacer lifts (a.k.a. leveling kits). How is it holding up? How many CV shafts have you eaten? How many ball joints? How many UCA's? Wheel bearings?

Any input would be great. I'm not new to Mopar stuff, but I've never owned this generation Ram truck. I'll pay attention to what anyone knowledgeable has to say!

I think there have been plenty of actual responses here. If Bilstein 5100s are available for someone's year and drivetrain, they are a much better choice for a level than a spacer. The only time people really uses spacers to level is if 5100s aren't available for their truck.

And since you have a 2008 4x4, don't waste your time with spacers. Get 5100s if you want to do a level.

OP
OP
DDean

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2wd or 4wd...with 4wd you can use the bilstiens listed above...with a 2wd you can do a spacer for 1"to 2" or spindles for 4.5"...like maxtrac..

4wd. I've done enough reading to know I wouldn't use spacers. Before my ram I had a Silverado the previous owner had leveled it with spacers. Went through a couple of CV axles and ended up taking the spacers off. I was hoping maybe to get a little more loft than a level but keep the tires I have. But if a level is the only way to go I might do that. I hate the factory rake. I understand it's purpose but I still don't like it

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If Bilstein 5100s are available...they are a much better choice for a level than a spacer.

...don't waste your time with spacers. Get 5100s if you want to do a level.

I've done enough reading to know I wouldn't use spacers.

Okay so I'm correct about spacer lifts being just as awful for these trucks (06-08 Ram 1500 4x4) as they were for the KJ Liberty.

Just wanted to make sure and to forewarn anybody who didn't know better. I hadn't seen much (if any) threads on here about the dangers of OTT (over-the-top spacer) lifts on suspension designs like this. Everybody raves about them, kits like HBS and those eBay spacers. But they're bad news.

It definitely seems the Bilstein 5100 is the way to go for leveling.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, again I'm new to these particular trucks.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have another question...

Are there sway bar drop brackets for the 06-08 1500 4x4 trucks? I can only seem to find them for the solid axle (Mega Cab, 2500, 3500) trucks.

I figure with a 2" rise in the suspension that the OEM sway bar links would be past their max.

Does anyone make either extended Sway bar connectors like the Jeepers use or a drop bracket kit?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another question...

Are there sway bar drop brackets for the 06-08 1500 4x4 trucks? I can only seem to find them for the solid axle (Mega Cab, 2500, 3500) trucks.

I figure with a 2" rise in the suspension that the OEM sway bar links would be past their max.

Does anyone make either extended Sway bar connectors like the Jeepers use or a drop bracket kit?

I haven't seen any before but they're not needed. On an 08 4x4, to do a level all that you need is Bilstein 5100s. It really is that simple. Remove your stock shocks, set the 5100s to the 2" setting and install them. Done lol