Lifted 2500's: Control Arms or Drop Brackets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im looking at a 5 or 6 inch lift for my 05 2500 4x4. The major difference between kits seems to be the use of replacement control arms or control arm drop brackets.
Rough Country has two 5" kits. One with adjustable control arms, the other with drop brackets.
Zone has a 5" kit with fixed control arms and a 6" kit with drop brackets.
The 6" BDS kit and the 6" Pro Comp kit both have fixed control arms.

Nothing else has really caught my eye in the 5 to 6" range. Im gunna stick with one of these entry level kits, its a street truck, but im willing to consider anything in the same price range.
My main concern is alignment, followed by ride comfort. Ive had a few lifted ifs trucks that were a bear to get aligned and keep aligned. This was a major factor in getting a 2500. That being said what is the better style of kit? Longer control arms or drop brackets?

Please share your experiences and any pictures of your truck. Hopefully this isnt beating a dead horse; most of the info i find here is for the 1500 series trucks.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swear I commented on this...

I would recommend you go with something with adjustable length control arms.
This will enable you to keep your pinion angle / caster aligned.

Drop brackets make for a lot of torsional load / stress that the factory brackets are not designed to take.

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swear I commented on this...

I would recommend you go with something with adjustable length control arms.
This will enable you to keep your pinion angle / caster aligned.

Drop brackets make for a lot of torsional load / stress that the factory brackets are not designed to take.

Thanks. Definitely dont want to stress the factory brackets.
Are adjustable arms the best way to control caster? Longer fixed arms and the proper cams wont keep her aligned? The reason I ask is because of the entry level kits rough country is the only one with adjustable arms, but not really my preference due to their reputation

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A spacer on something as important as a CA just seems like a bad idea. Especially when aftermarket arms can be had for a few hundred dollars.

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A spacer on something as important as a CA just seems like a bad idea. Especially when aftermarket arms can be had for a few hundred dollars.

Very true. The main impetus in creating this thread had to do with the geometry of the suspension. Do the drop brackets make a decreased control arm angle? and would that matter at all in terms of caster? Or would caster mainly be corrected by control arm length?

EDIT: Thats not to sell your advice short. What you said is reason enough to go ahead and get the arms

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would recommend you get adjustable uppers and lowers.
Not to say that you 'need' it, but it's certainly nice, especially if you can find an alignment shop that's actually smart enough to use them.

Longer uppers and adjustable lowers would likely be just fine.
Make sure you get an adjustable trac bar as well.

I ran the DT ProFab unit (gets rid of that failure prone balljoint end) on my '00.
Absolute pain to install, but 100% worth it!

HemiSport07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rize makes a nice adjustable kit my buddy's truck is very similar but he but the basic entry level procomp lift he is now taking all that off and running a rize long arm kit

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rize makes a nice adjustable kit my buddy's truck is very similar but he but the basic entry level procomp lift he is now taking all that off and running a rize long arm kit

What didnt he like about the procomp kit?

Long-arms are probably a little more then i can do. Both financially and installation wise, id imagine a long arm requires a new mount. Im just looking for a kit with replacement "short arms"

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all just nuts n bolts, and cutting and grinding, and maybe some welding too..

OP
OP
Hemi5speed

Hemi5speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all just nuts n bolts, and cutting and grinding, and maybe some welding too..

And money too haha.
I doubt id have to do any welding on a kit with control arms that bolt into the stock mounts. Long arms is probably a different story. Im sure someone makes a long arm kit with a bolt on bracket, but the consensus seems to be thats not as good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye