Newbie Needs Suspension Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich M.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just bought a 2006 F350 Megacab, 5.9L. The previous owner changed the front end parts to the 2014 front end and then put on a 3" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear and then a 2" lift on the back to help level it.

I bought it with 18" wheels on it and also received a set of 35x12.50x20s to go with it. I originally test drove it with the 20's, but now have the 18" wheels on it and feel like it is very soft side to side. I don't remember it being that way when I test drove it, but can't seem to understand how it would make a big difference. What can I do to make this truck a lot more stable feeling? I will be doing a significant amount of towing with this truck when I go camping with my family and can't have an unstable truck.

What is causing this with just a 3" lift and should I just remove the lift and go back to stock? I can go back to stock or just a 1 or 2" lift if it will make a big difference.

Any good suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome!

What size tires are on the 18" rims? If they're 35s, the sidewalls are taller, and if they're thin walls, it'll be a softer ride. Going back to 20s would stiffen it up a bit most likely.

OP
OP
R

Rich M.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Oops

HAAA...

Sorry about that. Didn't even realize that I had put the F350 in there. Yeah, it's a 3500 Megacab and the tires are 35x12.5x20". I just can't get used to the side to side sway that comes with this truck.

It's only up 3" inches in the front and a 2" leveling kit on the back. Just wondering if I stay with the 18" tires and lower it back down if it will get better or if I put the 20" tires back on and leave it as is. Just want to make sure it is going to be good when I begin towing my camper with it.

Thanks!

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding a rear sway bar can make a big difference to the side to side sway from the rear, such as when towing. I ran a helwig rear sway bar on my 2wd 04 ram and loved it. Also, have the suspension checked for any worn parts. The tires shouldn't make a huge difference in side to side sway. 18" 35s should provide a smooth ride, assuming you have them properly inflated.

For towing you may also wish to look into an add-a-leaf system. That can make a big difference in body roll from the rear. I'm not sure what replacing the suspension with 2014 entailed, but if the leafspring system is gone, then obviously that wouldn't work.

Polyurerhane bushings can significantly stiffen the ride up front, and they'll never wear out. It can come at a cost to comfort, but I never regretted it on my last ram. It took some major labor to blow torch out the rubber bushings though. You can do upper control arms, lower control arms, sway bar, and sway bar end links, and shock tops in poly. Its not super expensive, but labor intensive.