Question for you guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm gonna go test drive an 04 cummins, lifted with the 6 speed tranny. Body and frame are in great condition. It has 62000 miles and they're asking 27000 for it? Is that reasonable and what should I ask to get it for if I like it?

Attachments

• 98a42159505117682cc6e8ff2c764f75x.jpg
    98a42159505117682cc6e8ff2c764f75x.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well this forum sucks, in the 4th gen I woulda had 40 replies by now. Anyways I went and drove it. I don't know what lift is on it, but I have a 2012 1500 on a 6" suspension lift and bilsteins maxed and my truck looks small beside it. It has 38x15.50x20 intercos on it. I'd wanna keep my 37x13.50 trail grapps though instead of those. Really liked it, shifted smooth, rode pretty smooth until I hit 45mph and boom, bad death wobble. Salesman was with me and said they just put new front end components on it yesterday, I said I know cause I saw them but they apparently missed something. Told him to get it fixed, then we'll talk. I'll be trading in my truck, which has 33000 miles on it and I owe 24k. Gotta think of a number I wanna get them to for the whole deal.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry some people don't live on there phones or computers and have a life gasser.. But anyway that's a fair price for a cummins that low of mileage and that clean looking. 3rd gen cummins hold their value like crazy. It's nothing to see a 3rd gen with that low of mileage in the $30k+ range in my area. Does it have a dual steering stabilizer on it? That would take care of death wobble if not.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
your moving down 8 years that doesn't seem like a good deal to me
I realize the cummins makes the value but that only a few grand less than I paid for a brand new 15 qc hemi
IMO upgrades devalue the truck because you really cant be sure of the quality of the parts
why do you wanna trade ?
BDJ

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It was a joke bud, it's friday, prolly not many on here. I didn't look to far into it, drove it, had that happen and took it back. He said they'll work on it tomorrow and call me back in monday. I've never owned a diesel, but I've been searching for about 6 months for a deal I like. I like how well it's been taken care of and 62k miles on a 04 is pretty crazy. Price seemed a little high, but it's near blue book. What are some must have mods on these 5.9s?

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I realize the cummins makes the value but that only a few grand less than I paid for a brand new 15 qc hemi
IMO upgrades devalue the truck because you really cant be sure of the quality of the parts
why do you wanna trade ?
BDJ

Well I get 11mpg if I'm lucky in my truck. I don't like how the new ones are made body wise. You lean against it and it pushes in. Seems like people care more about their interior packages than how a truck is on the outside. I've always wanted a diesel, due to their lifespan and we're wanting a 5th wheel camper that I don't think my 1500 can handle.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I'm always lookin at trucks on autotrader and see ones that nice and older for around that price or even higher.. I'd try to Jew them down still tho cause you know they wouldn't give you anymore for yours for the amount you have in mods. Steering stabilizer would be the only thing I could think of since they replaced all the other suspension parts. Where to start with mods for a cummins lol does it have anything done to it motor wise already?

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea I'm always lookin at trucks on autotrader and see ones that nice and older for around that price or even higher.. I'd try to Jew them down still tho cause you know they wouldn't give you anymore for yours for the amount you have in mods. Steering stabilizer would be the only thing I could think of since they replaced all the other suspension parts. Where to start with mods for a cummins lol does it have anything done to it motor wise already?

Salesman didn't know. I wanna see if they will get ahold of the previous owner and ask him if he minds if I contact him.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea that's probably a good idea that way ya know what you're workin with and can make sure everything adds up right. For all ya know the previous owner could've beefed stuff up that you can't see without tearin **** apart.

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They said it was a one owner truck, so yeah I'm hoping I can talk to him.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's good to know to. Hopefully a older guy lol lil less chance it was beat and stuff was done right to it to

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea you're probably right lol.. Idk the biggest cummins around my area is on 40's and the guy looks like he's about retiring age lol so maybe
image.jpg

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It has ****** westin steps on it, that would be the first thing to go.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I agree and not a fan of the tail lights either but that wasn't really the point of the pic lol

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An 04 Cummins with that many miles an that good of shape I seriously doubt it has been abused looks to me like somebody took real good care of it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
why do you wanna trade ?
BDJ

You lost the amount of value that this truck has in almost 12 years when you pulled off the lot. It's sad, but true.