Questions About lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lennyp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone,

As you can see I am new so I apologize if this is not the spot for this. I recently sold my 94 BMW 325i due to the fact I'm going out to Penn State Main Campus in fall 2011. I have always loved the look of the Dodge Ram and I'm thinking about getting one when I am close to being done with school.

That being said, I want to lift it. I've heard all kinds of things about body lifts, suspension lifts and leveling kits. I understand what all of them do but here is my question. The truck I'm thinking about getting will be a 3rd gen, most likely an 06 or 07 for reference. Can I do a leveling kit plus a 3 inch body lift? Would that equal a 5 inch lift or just 5 inches in the front and 3 in the back? I don't need a huge lift because my girlfriend won't want to jump up into the truck but I want a little something to make it a little more aggressive. Also if this is possible, do shops install these kits or is it something that they do not do. I'm sure as in the BMW world, Dodge owners help other Dodge owners out so I guess that could always be an option.

Coming from the world of lowering cars I have no idea on any of this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

Lenny

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lenny, welcome to the site!

I currently have this set up. The leveling kit is going to do just that, level out the front of the truck, so that it is "level". I also have a 3" body lift. A shop would be more than happy to take your money and install these for you! But, if you have access to tools, and have some basic skills, you can do it yourself.

Here is a video by one of our members Rubber Frog, that isn't a DIY per say, but more of what to expect.

YouTube - Dodge Ram Body Lift Install

Any questions feel free to ask!

OP
OP
L

lennyp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thank you for the quick response! I've been googling just about every night trying to find out information and I finally said that I need to ask the experts on the forums.

From googling I've heard that the CV joints can get stressed from to much lifting since not all the aspects of the truck are being lifted. I have access to some tools but nothing like a welder or anything on the heavy side. I do have air tools and have access to other air tools. Your truck looks absolutely perfect! Coming from the modded car world, I guess it is in my blood to make a car/truck look a little bit more impressive then something that just rolled off the lot!

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the quick response! I've been googling just about every night trying to find out information and I finally said that I need to ask the experts on the forums.

From googling I've heard that the CV joints can get stressed from to much lifting since not all the aspects of the truck are being lifted. I have access to some tools but nothing like a welder or anything on the heavy side. I do have air tools and have access to other air tools. Your truck looks absolutely perfect! Coming from the modded car world, I guess it is in my blood to make a car/truck look a little bit more impressive then something that just rolled off the lot!

The CV joints will be fine. You won't be needing a welder lol, not for these projects. The air tools will be a huge plus! And, you'll be able to run 35" tires.

And, thanks for the compliment!

OP
OP
L

lennyp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Awesome! I just don't want to harm the truck when I do it. I need the truck to be reliable since I will be driving every day when I get it.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
biggest issue i had when i leveled mine(besides it not being level after the install) was compressing the springs. i did the bilstein 5100 lift shocks and had to take the coil over apart to get the new shock in. took them all apart, and took shocks and springs to a shop and had them change the shocks. if you do a strut extension type level, you don't need to worry about this i don't think unless you want to change shocks at the same time.

OP
OP
L

lennyp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Oh how I know all about that. I hated working with spring compressors when I put coilovers on my BMW. Just the fact that at any second they could slip off and cause some serious damage scared me a lot. I think I will just get the ones that attach to the top of the strut housing. Something similar to the top ones Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 & Dakota Leveling Kits - Tuff Country EZ-Ride

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah, tried doin it with the compressors at first and was like..... ummmm no.

OP
OP
L

lennyp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I don't blame you. Honestly, if I wouldn't have had the help of my friend who did his, I wouldn't have even tried to attempt it. Just to much risk of something very bad happening.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
had my dad and grandfather helpin me. the bolts were flexing inwards because of the pressure on em and i couldn't get the max lift out of it without takin them somewere.