Ride quality question with new keys to level truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajlw2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, I have a 2003 Ram 1500. I installed a set of indexed keys to level it out. Now the ride quality completely sucks and when you go over a speed bump or something the front end slams down. I'm just wondering what I can do. Will replacing my shocks(think it still has the factory shocks on it) help at all? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What do you mean by "slams down"?

OP
OP
A

ajlw2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you go over a speed bump, if your not creeping over it, the front wheels seem to spring back down and bottom out.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm no expert by any means and I have not raised mine yet. All the reading I have done about it here and elsewhere says though the stock shockes will "work" it is a good idea to get shocks in the range of what the lift is. You might be near the top of your travel.

I don't know how high you lifted yours but I plan on just under 2 inches and will replace the shocks during the mod.

How much extra are you trying to get just with the torsion bars?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As mentioned, it might be your shocks over extending. How much did you crank your torsion bars?

OP
OP
A

ajlw2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are up about 2". I just picked up a pair of pro comp shocks that are supposed to be good for up to a 2" lift. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens!

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Report back afterwards. Hopefully that solves your problem.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity more than anything, I cranked mine up today, just under 2". Stock keys, seems to have plenty left if I wanted to go higher.

I think it rides better, kind of rode like a luxury car before now it feels more like a truck. Not worried about the shocks, all my driving is in town and highway plus I'm tearing the front end apart beginning of the month.

So unless it was already lifted and you went 2 inches more your problem sounds deeper than just shocks. I went over some speed humps and it didn't bottom out (top out?)

I think you have something else busted. Be careful driving it until you find the noise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963