Shocks after leveling kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so last weekend I put on the hell bent steel leveling kit 2.5inch. And after I few days I started getting a light clunking on the driver side and gets worse every day. Took the whole front end back apart checked everything re torqued everything to spec. And replaced tie rod ends and ball
Joint and axle cause the cv boot was busted. And also took the sway bar off to see if the sounds was coming from there and no. But after all that I am still getting the clunking. Can someone help me out here. Maybe someone has had this problem before
Truck is a 2008 1500 4wd

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
same thing happening to me. just put a level on my 2005 and what it is the shocks are too small need to get bigger ones. did you get it aligned already? that will improve your ride a little.. but as for the clunking you are going to need bigger shocks. i'm saving up to buy new ones.

OP
OP
O

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the 2005 to 2008 has a diff suspension set up

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
When does the clunk happen? When hitting bumps, turning, regular driving? Need some more info to diagnose properly.

If you want to get new shocks your best option is getting a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts and ditching the 2.5" HBS spacers that you have on there now.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When does the clunk happen? When hitting bumps, turning, regular driving? Need some more info to diagnose properly.

If you want to get new shocks your best option is getting a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts and ditching the 2.5" HBS spacers that you have on there now.

Thats what I was gonna say. Bilsteins are a much better option for leveling an 06+ 4wd 1500 than spacers. Plus spacers just ride like crap in general.

OP
OP
O

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just regualar driving. Ohio roads suck so they are all bumpy. Don't hear it on turns and after about 45 mph don't hear anything at all.

I'm really thinking about getting the new 5100s. Might pay a shop to install them. I heard getting the top strut bolt off can be a big *****

OP
OP
O

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is every one buying there 5100s at ride height ones

OP
OP
O

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they level it out pretty much or is there still a rake. Mine sits 100percent level sits at 39.5 inch all 4 corners

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they level it out pretty much or is there still a rake. Mine sits 100percent level sits at 39.5 inch all 4 corners

It gets it pretty level. I haven't measured mine or anything. Might still be a tiny bit of rake to it but personally I still wanted a little that way it doesn't lean to the back as soon as I put something in the bed. But they get it very close to level. And ride a lot better.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Just regualar driving. Ohio roads suck so they are all bumpy. Don't hear it on turns and after about 45 mph don't hear anything at all.

I'm really thinking about getting the new 5100s. Might pay a shop to install them. I heard getting the top strut bolt off can be a big *****

Sounds like something is just loose. Either that or the stock struts are worn out.

It definitely can be a pain to get the top strut bolt off for disassembly and the lower strut bolt out on an older truck. I would recommend giving it some good sprays with a penetrating oil a couple days before the work is completed to help loosen everything up.

Where is every one buying there 5100s at ride height ones

Shoot an email to Andrew at Revel Performance at [email protected]. Let him know I sent you and that you're a forum member and he'll hook you up.

don't matter. the stock shock size is a specific length. leveling it you are going to top it off.

It 100% does matter. A 2005 uses torsion bars and separate shocks. A 2008 uses a strut assembly therefore the spacer is put on top of the entire strut (spring and shock). Longer shocks aren't applicable in this application.

OP
OP
O

Orange08ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the truck at 4 diff shops over the last few days and non of them can tell me anything They hear it but can't find it. I'm stuck here