should i go with a solid axle before i lift it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cr500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a leveling kit on my 2002 dodge ram 1500. I have 3 1/2” of total front lift. Then put 2” blocks in the rear. I looking to get a 6” lift kit from skyjack and run 37” tires. I would really like to get 40s under it. I’m running 35” tires with the new keys and blocks installed. Before I start this project I was thinking about getting away from the independent front suspension and going with a solid axle. I already had to replace the right side CV drive axles and intermediate shaft when I got this truck. I’m looking to set this truck up the right way! Is this a complete fabrication job or is there someone that makes aftermarket parts to do this? should i go with a solid axle before i lift it?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RF, there is one person I know of running 40s like that and I believe he did not change the front for it.

OP
OP
C

cr500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.....down the road i'm looking to get a 2500 and make this my beater, is there someone that makes aftermarket upper and lower A-arms and CV axles?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I think I saw that kore makes a set of cvs - but if memory serves me right - they are 800 bucks or so!

Welcome to rf dude! Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :D

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok bottom line here...

Doing a solid axle swap, as mentioned, is a complete fab job. If this truck is your daily driver, I wouldn't suggest going with any larger than a 37. You'll also need gears, 4.56's, a programmer, and perhaps some other small mods. Also, check your tie rods while you're at it.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.....down the road i'm looking to get a 2500 and make this my beater, is there someone that makes aftermarket upper and lower A-arms and CV axles?

Kore. But to do what you're wanting to do...again will all need to be fabbed. You're looking at like a very expensive job. Might as well just go to a junk yard, and do a frame swap with a 2500 or 3500.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
yeah im with them go get a 2500. its would be very very expensive and take alot of time to set your truck up with a sas. you would need to decide wether to link it or spring it first and either one of those setups is easily 1200 to 2000 and thats not including your axle and steering compenents, just fab labor. unless you got tons of money and want a truck you cant drive on the interstate unless leafsprung i would leave the 35s on it and get a hd ram. just my oppinion but i wouldnt do it

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
CV joints. Got mine from ebay actually. I believe CVMan was his username or something close to that. I cant tell you how impressed i am with the quality. WAY better than OEM. I'm looking forward to my other side breaking so i can replace it with one of these. They're inexpensive too... around $80 if i recall

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
For some reason I cant fiind the thread of the guy who did the swap on his 07 i think. It was gray with 37s and with 40s

OP
OP
C

cr500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cool...thanks for that link. i got some thinking to do now!

4X HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not to mention, it looks like you have the 4.7 V8, your gas mileage is going to really suck to be putting that kind of lift on it and the big tires.

I know a couple of guys that did the whole suspension lift/body lift 37's and 40's and even with a gear swap they were not impressed on how it performed with the 4.7 after dumping all that money into it.

If your thinking on going over a 35" tire then you definitely want to re-gear it.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to mention, it looks like you have the 4.7 V8, your gas mileage is going to really suck to be putting that kind of lift on it and the big tires.

I know a couple of guys that did the whole suspension lift/body lift 37's and 40's and even with a gear swap they were not impressed on how it performed with the 4.7 after dumping all that money into it.

If your thinking on going over a 35" tire then you definitely want to re-gear it.

Good point there Harold. That is why this 4.7 is getting blown!

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did one solid axle swap on a dodge and it is hell!!! It's not worth it and cost way in the thousounds. Lots of machine work and knowlege!! It's nice in the end but it's well worth to get a 2500 or 3500 with sa already. What make them so hard it that there is not kit made to switch it over to sa. Chevys have kits like from off road direct that are expensive but turn the job to a bolt on kit. No one out there makes on for dodge because it is so easy to just buy a 2500 and the HEMI or othe motors will hate a sa up front