Spare Tire options when upgrading tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signal 20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just bought my truck which came with a leveling kit, wheels and tires. The tires on the truck are 285/70/17. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I checked my spare tire. Its 265/70/17 which I'm assuming was the stock size for my 05 2500 4x4. I am wondering if anyone that upgraded to larger tires and left the spare the stock size has ever had to limp home on the smaller diameter spare.

I just don't have the extra cash at this moment to go drop on 1 tire to match the others, especially when I can imagine they are about $300 a tire.

If there is no possibility of limping home on that smaller spare then I'm just going to take it down from the mount and chuck it in the garage until I can buy the correct size tire for the spare.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do use the smaller spare, make sure you only have it on your non-drive axle. So it would have to be on your front in this case. Even if the flat happened in the rear. You would need to move a good tire from the front to the rear, and then put the spare on the front. I would drive as little speed and distance as you could with this setup.