Want opinions on leveling kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpstarling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I recently bought a 2005 2wd Hemi 1500 QC and I want to level it within the near future and I've read up on everything on here I can find about leveling kits and I want to see which setup people would prefer.

I am looking at two options. The first being a Daystar 1.5" spacer leveling kit with new bilstein shocks (I need shocks bad so I want to get it all at the same time). Here's a link to the spacer and shocks:
Daystar Comfort Ride Lift & Leveling Kit, Daystar Lift Kits
Bilstein*Shocks:*02-08*Ram 1500 - 2WD - Excludes Megacab* - eShocks.com:

The second is the Rough Country 2" coil leveling kit from topguncustomz.
Here's the rough country kit:
2" 02-05 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD Leveling Coil Lift Kit @Top Gun Customz

Obvious question is which of these would everyone choose? they're about the same price so I want to know which would be a) easier to install and b) better quality?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That's a good price for the daystar but 1.5" isn't going to do much
Rough country sells a 3" "lift", I think it's $300osh but comes with new springs front shocks and blocks for the rear, there is an RC vendor here that could probably get you a good deal
Fatbobsgarage garage website is a good place to find 2wd spacers as well
Unfortunatly hell bent steel are only for 4x4

discojables

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bilsteins 5100 - no contest.

Just my opinion

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Bilsteins 5100 - no contest.

Just my opinion

Not on a 2wd.
You cant level with 5100s but you could Go with the 5100 non adjustable mono tube shock over the bilstien 4600 you have linked, but I'm not really sure how much difference you would notice

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
dang missed the 2wd part. yeah no adjustable bilsteins or HBS kits.

OP
OP
W

wpstarling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not on a 2wd.
You cant level with 5100s but you could Go with the 5100 non adjustable mono tube shock over the bilstien 4600 you have linked, but I'm not really sure how much difference you would notice

Yea I knew I couldn't use the 5100's to level it but everyone I've seen swears by the Bilstein's but I can get the RC coils and shocks as one package for actually a few bucks cheaper than the spacer/bilsteins but I don't want to get the Rancho shocks if they really are that bad (of course they can't be worse than what i'm rolling with now). Mostly just want to know if new coils are better than spacers and if the ranchos are worth spending $$ on. I would get the Nitro 9000 shocks if I went with that RC kit.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go with the springs, honestly a 1.5 inch spacer wont make much of a difference. it really only adds an inch. And if youre truck is like most others, you need 3 inches to truly level it

OP
OP
W

wpstarling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the springs, honestly a 1.5 inch spacer wont make much of a difference. it really only adds an inch. And if youre truck is like most others, you need 3 inches to truly level it

Yea it's closer to 3 inches to level it out. Will these springs actually give me 2 true inches or will they give me less since I have the HEMI? I emailed Rough Country but of course they haven't wrote back :( I would rather have the springs but if they're not giving me 2 true inches then I may look elsewhere.

Bill

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hmm I've never seen those springs before, they might be your best option an you can pair them with the shock you want
So much for budget lol

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might want to look into lift struts too, they tend to give 3" and don't mess up your ride.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yeah, height adjustable shocks can only be used in a coil over assembly like used in 06-present 4x4

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Id say the the coil paired with some bilstein shocks. I think thats the road im going to take.

Also does any1 have any info on the Nitro 9000 series shocks?

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My brother had ten on his Cherokee, just your typical gas charged shock but he never had any complaints with them

OP
OP
W

wpstarling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the Rough Country Springs actually provide the 2 inches of lift or will it be less than 2 inches since I have the HEMI motor?

I'm contemplating adding a spacer on the 2 inch spring since I need 3 inches to level my truck out. Would this be ok or would it mess stuff up? ( I figure this is about the same as the 3/1 lift RC has but cheaper)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
What's wierd is I haven't even seen 2" coils on RCs site only spacers but they should be very close to 2"
For what it would cost for the springs and then a spacer I would just get the 3" springs linked above and not worry about it

OP
OP
W

wpstarling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's wierd is I haven't even seen 2" coils on RCs site only spacers but they should be very close to 2"
For what it would cost for the springs and then a spacer I would just get the 3" springs linked above and not worry about it

That's the funny thing. If you add up all the costs for 2" springs/spacer/shocks it's less than 3" springs/shocks/blocks.

I've just read some mixed reviews on Rough Country coils so it's holding me back from getting them. I've heard they tend to sag which obviously I don't want happening.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio