Will 35s rub on an 06 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northern Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Hey everyone:

I'm relatively new here, but not new to trucks or modifying them.

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 SLT BigHorn with factory 20in alloys running 275/60/R20 Nitto Terragrapplers. In the winter, I switch to 275/65/R20 Duratracs. (The factory size 275/60/R20s convert to 33s, and the 275/65/R20s convert to 34s).

When I first got the Duratracs, my front tires rubbed on my PDP mudflaps at full lock, but only slightly. I fixed the issue my drilling two small holes thru the mudflap and fender splash shield on both sides, and zip-tying the inner edge out of the way.

I'm planning to purchase the Rough Country 2.5in level/lift which adds 2.5in coil spring spacers up front, and a 1.5in block in the rear with new shocks.

My question is, will 35s rub using the factory rims? If so, will a -12mm offset rim fix the issue, or do I need to look into getting .25in wheel spacers?
I've heard many claims that the 3rd gen Rams can stuff 35s without rubbing on just a level, but I want to be sure before I order anything.

Here is a link to a thread with one conversation I've seen: FYI, I have the same rims, and want the same tires.
Yay or nay, 35s on 06+ stock 20s? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

I'm concerned because everyone who says, "I've got no rubbing issues at all!" has either an 03-05 Ram, or an 07-08 Ram; it's very difficult to find any info on an 06.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated, regardless of the year of your 3rd gen.

Thanks guys (and gals).

~Northern Hemi

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You can certainly run 35's with the leveling kit however your stock rims by themselves won't work. You'll either need to run spacers with them or buy new rims with the correct offset. Take a look at the Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing linked in my signature and go from there. It will give you a bunch of information on the best way to level your truck and wheel/tire options to go with. If you have questions from there feel free to post them up and I will get them sorted out for you.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Like Brandon said above you'll need wheels with a different offset or wheel spacers which I'm personally not a fan of. Also if you look at his guide you'll see that bilsteins for up front would be a better choice for your whole front end than the spacer but that's your choice.

OP
OP
Northern Hemi

Northern Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Thank you so much for the advice and link, Brandon: that was some of the most informative information I've read in a long time. This has definitely convinced me to abandon spacers and just get some Bilsteins, and possibly look at just jumping up to a 4in suspension lift considering that the control arms, bushings, bearings, and CV shafts would all be put under less stress with the new parts and brackets offered in a high quality kit.