17" vs 20" wheels. Pros and Cons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 3.92 gears and 20" chrome wheels, I am considering switching to 17" aluminum rims for two reasons, tire prices, and MPG. Has anyone out there noticed better MPG with 17" rims running stock tire size (or close to it) over the 20"? I'm gonna spend the same amount of money either way, but if i could net 2-3 mpg better with 17's.... why not? Just trying to see what the real world results are. Thanks for the input.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Subbed. Will update with results when mine get on Tuesday/Wednesday if weather delays.

Edit: I'm gonna say this here to save room and try not to stray too far off topic in the other thread. I went down to a 31.6 tire and you could probably go smaller and do a bit better. A lot of this will depend on gearing and driving habits and style. I assume that a smaller tire will be better around town, better for acceleration, And better with 3.55s vs 3.92
However at highway speed a smaller tire will require more rpm's to go the same speed as a larger tire, thus burning more gas in theory.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the new wheels and tires on yesterday. My truck sits a lot closer to the ground. I filled up yesterday and I'll fill up again today and report back with mileage. Acceleration seems much better. Overall the height from ground to fender changed by just under two inches. I went from the stock goodyear 275/65-R20's to kumho 265-70-R17 a/t tires.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I filled up today and took a short trip. About 80 miles highway and 20 miles of oilfield roads in 4x4... getting 16 mpg.
Last week I got 13 mpg on my 20's during my daily commute to work 60 mile round trip going about 45 because of the ice.
It was also 10-25 degrees all last week and now it is 40-60.
So I have no idea if that may cause a difference also.

Overall I dont think it helped me much. Maybe 1 mpg. I'm going to attribute the rest of it to weather and being able to deive the speed limit this week vs last week. Normally I get around 15 anyway.
About 2 months after buying my truck drove it to colorado and got 20 mpg average over 1600 miles. Lots of mods and abuse since then though.

Just for reference I havent been babying it at all. I drive it like I always do. I punch it halfway to floor on every takeoff. And occassionally floor it to hear the tires chirp.
I had waay too much fun on the oilfield roads in and around robbers cave state park tonight.
Happy V Day :Naughty

Last edited: