2006 Lower Ball Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlangston13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2006 2WD 1500 and while changing the oil the other day I noticed that the rubber on my right front lower ball joint was tore. It did not look like the ball joints could just be replaced, it looked like the whole lower control arm needs to be changed out. Is this the case or can I just swap out the actual ball joint?? And if so, how does the old one come off??

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Personally, I will not put anything on my truck's suspension other than MOOG suspension parts. On two wheel drive trucks the uppers are Control Arm/Ball Joint Assemblies, the lowers are just the Ball Joints, which are pressed into the lower control arms.

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quicksteer is made by federal as well as moog. Quicksteer is their lower line and moog is their higher end line

tdod101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have moog on my truck, those things are heavy duty

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used MOOG on mine, no problems. I like that they're greaseable and have an outstanding reputation. I still need to do uppers and tie-rod ends eventually. The lowers were a pain because they've been staked to prevent them from loosening.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
Personally, I will not put anything on my truck's suspension other than MOOG suspension parts. On two wheel drive trucks the uppers are Control Arm/Ball Joint Assemblies, the lowers are just the Ball Joints, which are pressed into the lower control arms.

So can the upper ball joint be replaced on a 4wd 2007 1500 without changing the upper arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank.sirignano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my lowers. On mine it just seemed like they had 3 little "smooshed" in metal places, which just snapped off when pushing them out. Its really an easy job to tackle. YouTube the vid, I rented the tool from advanced, and the bottom adapter fits over the lip on one side and in the back hangs off the control arm. Popped out relatively easy. I took the entire knuckle off, and figured I might as well changed other stuff, such as the control arm and tie-rod ends... Need an alignment anyway, so figured I'd mess the entire front end up once, and not have to pay for another alignment down the road. I'll be part of the Moog bandwagon, greaseable parts FTW, gives me something extra to do when I wanna play mechanic.

OP
OP
R

rdlangston13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The part shown in the link you provided and the part I found on Moog-Suspension-Parts.com - A Dealer of the Federal Mogul Brand of Suspension Parts look very different.

MOOG MOOG-K7465 Front Lower Ball Joint Made by MOOG

Bear79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The lower ball joint is a press in ball joint as stated before. For the 5 lug wheel you would need MOOG-K7411. Moog has redesigned the dust boot to an integral design and it is grease-able.