4th gen rims on a 3rd gen 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
There's really and truly only a couple factory dodge wheels that I like and I think that the newer 5 star pattern type wheels would look pretty sweet on my 03. I don't have the ugliest wheels dodge ever made by no means but I can tell that one day that "chrome" will chip off and look like sh+*. Anyone know which wheels I'm talking about on the newer Rams? I wanna see what it would look like. Also heard that they were mighty expensive but in thinking so many people lifting and putting big tires and rims on their truck there has to be a good bit of these out there some where from where they took them off, right?

2003 Ram 1500 4.7 magnum 4x2
196k miles but well taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If my wheel search is any indicator, people think that stock 20" Ram wheels are made of gold or platinum. $1300 for a stock set of wheels? Yeah, right....

I ended up getting one hell of a deal on a set of R/T 22's for half the price people were asking for stock chrome clad 20's. Aluminum wheels with glorified hubcaps are not worth the price people are asking for them.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just the fact that they are plastic chrome covers made me hate them enough to spend the money on the wheels I have now. I don't like chrome, but there's nothing out there that I hate more than plastic chrome.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not a fan of plasti-chrome either, but I like the look of these better than my original flower petals, I'd love to have set of R/T rims (disgustingly expensive) or even the satin 5 spokes, again people want a lot for them. I got these for a steal.

DSC01564_zpsf31f20c4.jpg~original

OP
OP
Joshua

Joshua

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Thanks for the input, I completely agree. The second I realized they were plastics best impersonation of chrome I started thinking more towards the newer gen wheel route. I had thought about painting these black but to be honest, I don't think they'd turn out all that great. Maybe on a certain few trucks but I don't think so on mine. Best just to leave them chrome lookin the way they are for now. Unless I see a truck same color as mine and it actually turned out lookin cool. Then maybe. Id hate for it to turn out looking stupid and can't go right back to chrome look.

I am not a big fan of chrome either, mainly because people over do it. Some here and there as long as it compliments the truck it can look nice. I'm very picky over appearance on certain things. Like all flat black everything I like most all the time but I saw a pic of a truck sorta like mine done that way where he painted the wheels black too (believe they were the same as mine I couldn't tell) but I just didn't like it. I probably would have already just gone ahead and blacked them out but I've been thinking twice about it since my truck is gold. Idk how that would actually turn out. Hate gold. But hey other than that, it's a beautiful truck and I know a few things here and there and I'll love it. Never had a vehicle that I could make look cool I always had to fix something to keep it running. So this time I'm gonna baby this beast and dress it up.

That's a good lookin truck there hemilonestar. I knew the 4th gen rims would look cool as hell on it. I especially like your front end/hood on yours. You got that while sport rt look. I'm kinda goin for somewhere around there but still my work truck. I don't like all the big jacked up stuff people do. Too much of anything looks stupid.

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the prices of these oem rims are insane, I'd rather spend 700-800 bucks on aftermarket rims than 1300 on some of these fake chrome rims. Why the heck are the oem so expensive

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's a good lookin truck there hemilonestar. I knew the 4th gen rims would look cool as hell on it. I especially like your front end/hood on yours. You got that while sport rt look. I'm kinda goin for somewhere around there but still my work truck. I don't like all the big jacked up stuff people do. Too much of anything looks stupid.

Thanks! I just add things here and there lol

pickleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
89d991f921701eba3ca32b1d96642a32.jpg
I like the chrome factory wheels. Easy to keep clean, dont need to polish and wont rust. They can be found for alot less than $1000 for a set. Just have to have patience. Got mine for $400 with tires that i ran for a year.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And if you're stupid patient or super lucky (like I was), you can find a set of these for less than half the price people are asking for chrome clads:

20160222_143159_zpsz2dpkype.jpg

OP
OP
Joshua

Joshua

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I finally found a 3rd gen ram like mine with its factory wheels painted black. Looks ight. I plan on flat blacking the whole thing and a set of those 4th gens black as well or chrome don't know yet

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
The bolt pattern is the same on 3rd and 4th's correct?
So any 5 bolt wheels are interchangeable throughout?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. I have the off road 17" wheels that were offered in 2nd an 3rd gens. An also ran a pair of 20s that came from my buddies 4th gen.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Yeah now that I'm blacking out the entire truck I need to get some wheels that I can blackout as well. I prefer a 17 so I can reuse my new million dollar Goodyears.
Plus, the original plastichromes are in really good shape and I just can't bring myself to butcher them with paint or plasti dip and such.