Another infamous "lamp out warning light" problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got this truck a few weeks ago. 2002 Ram 1500 quadcab 4x4. Being new to Dodge trucks, there was no issue until recently. It started with the lamp out light flickering. Then went out for a while then one morning it went off and wouldn't stop dinging. Then it calmed down to one ding and then stays on all the time now.

What I found was the drivers rear tail light grid was bad. Replaced it and all lights except one of the license plate lights works. I went ahead and replaced the passenger side tail light grid also being they were cheap enough, why not. I replaced the license plate lights but I still couldn;t get one to work. Harness looks good, thinking maybe the socket.

So at this time, all lights but one license plate light is fully functioning and I still have a lamp out light on.

What lights does this lamp out light monitor? Any light in the circuit? Or just outer tail and headlamps? Interior or dash lights? Ideas what I'm missing?

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should just be outer lights, I dont believe it does tag lights but I could be wrong. Are you using HIDs in the front? Check those bulbs

OP
OP
J

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I haven't got back here sooner. All lights are stock.

I finally found that I have had an intermittent brake light on the drivers side. It now does not work at all. Same with the light for the license plate same side. I've put in new bulbs as well as the bulb grid. I have checked the connectors at the grid and to the main harness and both are clean and wires look good. It has a pigtail for a trailer and decided to redo the connections there so that's good. Checked wires up to where they go into the main harness. They looked good. Did a quick check on the entire length of the harness all the way up to the engine area and no pinches or breaks in the loom. It all looked good. Checked the brake light solenoid at the brake pedal and also the wiring in the foot well area and all looked good.

I'm down to pulling every inch of wire out of the loom, wondering if the new grid could possibly be bad also, or am missing a switch or overlooking something. I'm in the dark when it comes to Dodge's and their systems.

There is also one other possible thing. I hate to go there but, could there be something somewhere that could be manipulated or unplugged quickly? I ask because I had a semi go around with a mechanic doing our states safety inspection on this truck that decided to nitpick. I had to repair and take the truck back several times to get it to pass and he wasn't too happy that I didn't have him fix it for twice what it cost me to do it myself. This guy has had a history (found out later) of questionable things happening to customers cars after he has serviced them. Again, could have nothing to do with it, but it's strange that this truck was fine until the inspection.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Havee look at the IPDM (fuse box under hood driver side...). Check all relays and grounds. You may also do a good clean of the main power connector.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Explit Player

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm... Try checking all the fuses and then take a look at the PCM/ECU and wiggle the wires. If all fails, maybe take to dealership, but if no, only other option would be to check and see if there is a wire behind the Gauge cluster that you can cut and kill the power to the light.( not sure if its possible, but try to look into it)

Russmccardle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My 03 has had many issues with the lamp on drivers rear going out. Not sure why it's a continuing problem but seems if the bulb isnt in just right it will come and go causing that stupid light

OP
OP
J

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have checked the fuses and all are good. I also cleaned the positive cable as it was corroded badly. Still no brake light. I haven't tried the ECM wiring though. I'll check that tomorrow. I'm looking at the brake light switch also. Double check the wiring again. It all looked good the first time but......

I do have an issue with the left turn signal flasher on the cluster. It's also not working. The blinker works fine as you can hear it and the tail light flashes fine also. I have looked around and seen one guy say that a fault in the dash cluster may cause problems elsewhere. I'll pull it apart if I absolutely have to, but I really don't want to. Old plastic scares me.

OP
OP
J

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the tail light out today and put the original grid back in and what I found was the bulb in the middle had some heat damage to the base of the light around one of the wires. I noticed this same thing with the old bulb I took out. It's just one of the wires on the bulb. However, the brake light now works. How long? No idea. So there must be a short between the tail light and brake light switch, and I'm guessing. But something is causing this one wire on the bulb base to become hot enough to melt into the base.

OP
OP
J

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the rear drivers brake light is still working. I'm not going to try and guess why. Just happy it is. Never singled out the problem. Could be wiring, could have been the part. I'm sure it will rear it's ugly head down the road. Meanwhile, I'll keep poking and prodding to figure it out. Just not as urgent now that it's working.

frankster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Posting for info..My 2005 3500 had a brake light out on the driver's rear. Lamp out warning. Found the wire harness had been crushed at the rear where it goes over the frame. Probably happened when the previous owner had the bed lifted to install gooseneck hitch. Repaired wiring. problem fixed.
You know, when you come on here looking to find help, you too should post what fixed your truck. Many of the posts on here never say what fixed it. Common courtesy. Just saying..

PrettyMolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 04... I have a similar issue with my right turn signal, but only when the parking lights are on.. when the parking lights are off... both left & right blink at normal speed.. now when i turn PL's on and HL's on in the evening.. left blinks fine.. right blinks hyper with the ding for lamp out... have checked wires, switches, fuses, gauge cluster, and have also checked the bulbs.. bulbs on front were looking little scorched, so put in new, rear look ok, just a tad dirty... could it have anything to do with the white board the bulbs plug into on the tail lights?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
03 Ram Quad cab 5.7. Same problem. Finaly my tech surrendered and talked to a Dodge tech contact he had. One of the ground wires to the body was the cause. Common for some trucks in this era.

PrettyMolly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you by chance remember what ground wire specifically?
Could the white board that screws to the back of the tail light housing be an option at all?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Same with my truck. The fix for me was grounding issues, found that after I tried new boards. If op’s battery terminals were corroded that bad, I guarantee there’s more corrosion down the line. Download the pdf service manual and it tells you where all the grounds are. Good luck, hope this helps.

karim3450

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
03 Ram Quad cab 5.7. Same problem. Finaly my tech surrendered and talked to a Dodge tech contact he had. One of the ground wires to the body was the cause. Common for some trucks in this era.
04 Ram Reg cab 5.7 same problem. Identify which ground it is and where it's located for quicker fix?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
04 Ram Reg cab 5.7 same problem. Identify which ground it is and where it's located for quicker fix?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Download the "service manual' in PDF and it shows where all the grounds are. My tech handled the ones that were a problem.