Any Ball Joint replacement tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Doing the ball joints on my 03 1500 4x4. Never done ball joints before but I do almost all my own auto work. I have moog uppers arms and lower ball joints. Also doing Bilstein shocks.

Any tips, good web sites or any other helpful info? My brother (doing it at his place ) downloaded the service manual from this site.

I read directions on a mechanic friends computer and it did not mention loosen the tension on the torsion bars. Basically said, put on jackstands (far out on lower control arms) removed steering knuckle and replace upper arm and lower BJ. Do you need to relieve tension on toraion bar?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you dont remove tension, you will need another jack to control the lower control arm. You will need to keep up from bottom, then you can lower the upper to meet the knuckle.

When I did my uppers, I didn't remove tension, I did what I said above, used another jack under the lower to keep tension on it.

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yep, got first side apart, gotta press lower BJ out and replace it then it should go back together easy. Hardest part so far was getting top nut off the shock...wtf!!!!

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
All done, was going good till the last bolt, the threads for a caliper bracket somehow got messed up.
Some things I learned...

Get the big ball joint press loaner kit from advance auto or wherever.

Axles nut may be 35 or 36mm. Factory shaft was 35mm, shaft from Napa was 36mm.

18mm and 21mm sockets are your friends.

You do not need to touch your torsion bars as long as you have a jack under the lower control arm.

You should have a torque wrench that goes to 185lbs.

I never did ball joints but in a driveway with a large selection of tools, I could do them again in probably 6 hours with a break here and there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956