Anyone ever spray their own bedliner from a kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone ever do their own bed liner with a kit like this?
Custom Coat Black Base 6-Liter Gun & Text Bedliner Kt

I have one in mine, but my father just bought a new ram w/o one.

I was even thinking of doing about 2 inches up on the bottom of my doors, and possibly the inner pinch seams to prevent rust in the future. Tired of chrysler pinch seams rotting in the salt belt.

are these worth the hassle? or just bite the bullet and pay w/o they want for a linex?

also if there is a better spot for this thread, please move it.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have done many. 30+

Really easy to do *IF
You have a good compressor
Know how to lay down even amounts of product

It's pretty easy actually. It's one of those things you do a few times and you've become an expert on.

I've used SEM, Raptor, Upol, Custom Coat, you name it..

Key, like with everything is prep.

I have a really heavy duty buffer and I purchased a 6" cup brush for it and it sped up the prepping buy 80%.

Defender04_zpsmxrvcphu.jpg

Clean it with wax and grease remover really really well..

and lay down the foundation.

Defender13_zpsjpjcnc2n.jpg

Once you get the foundation done, you do a light mist coat over the entire thing to get it to look very even with the sheen.

Defender16_zpsuhfkbuok.jpg

Defender17_zps1vu2tuv9.jpg

Defender24_zpsfdkimied.jpg

Defender28_zpsuewzwtlu.jpg

I was doing them for friends, family, co-workers for a while. I had that truck 3 years and used the hell out of the bed. No issues !! Even from the sun here in Arizona.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome! And I sincerely thank you. I do have a big ol compressor. I have a few angle grinders im sure I can get cup brushes for. I can even see doing this to the floor on my race car instead of Carpet. Also very excited to seal my pinch seams with something thick like this.

Do you know of a good etching primer? Or have you never had to cover any minor surface rust?

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh and is the kit I posted enough for a short bed you think?

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow you do pretty nice work. Who's product do you use here in our state. The sun here is brutal on just paint alone.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did my bed with raptor liner today. Pretty darn happy with the results. Alot of prep work, a little bit of spraying.

2e36b585b448e5627e1de2b44daa9607.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did my bed with raptor liner today. Pretty darn happy with the results. Alot of prep work, a little bit of spraying.

2e36b585b448e5627e1de2b44daa9607.jpg

Looks awesome!! what prep method did you use?

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks awesome!! what prep method did you use?
Thanks! Did a wire cup wheel on a variable speed buffer slowed way down everywhere I could get to with it, then 80 grit by hand everywhere I couldn't get with the buffer. Blow it all off, then wipe down with acetone. Tape everything off and bag the rest of the truck with plastic. Then go over the bed with a tack cloth and finally spray. 3 quarts gave decent coverage all over, then went over the bed floor and tailgate again with the fourth quart for a more build.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! Did a wire cup wheel on a variable speed buffer slowed way down everywhere I could get to with it, then 80 grit by hand everywhere I couldn't get with the buffer. Blow it all off, then wipe down with acetone. Tape everything off and bag the rest of the truck with plastic. Then go over the bed with a tack cloth and finally spray. 3 quarts gave decent coverage all over, then went over the bed floor and tailgate again with the fourth quart for a more build.

Thats about what I figured. Basically scuff and shoot everywhere you want it to go, then adequate blow off and wipe down. Good deal.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats about what I figured. Basically scuff and shoot everywhere you want it to go, then adequate blow off and wipe down. Good deal.
Yeah, it's not rocket surgery by any means. But does take a little work. And a handy tip, once you start spraying wear gloves (latex or equivalent type). I typically do when I dealing with anything like this but didn't this time. Man that stuff is tough to get off skin!!![emoji47]

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basic rocket appliances. Got it ;)