Ballast/resistors mounting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Want to hook my HIDs up very soon but curious on where everyone mounts there ballasts and resistors? Also do you use self tapping screws or 3m? Any input I appreciate.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely screws. The resistors get hot and will melt any sort of tape. I attached the passenger side to my CAI mounting bracket and stuck the driver's side on the radiator crossmember, but I wouldn't do that again. They're slightly visible from the front through the grill, just because they're orange in color.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
When I had them - I mounted to the vertical support on either side of the condenser and radiator with industrial Velcro.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually used 3m tape on my Toyota I used to have to hold one of my ballasts onto the backside of my windshield washer reservoir. Just because I don't like drilling holes in anything unless I have to. When I sold the truck, when I tried to remove that ballast it actually ripped the entire washer fluid tank off of the truck. Broke all the mounting points and ripped the whole tank out.

So you may actually have the opposite problem with using the 3m tape and not be able to remove them without breaking something. The heat from the ballasts will heat the tape, but with that kind of tape, getting hot will basically turn them into a mat of superglue. Whenever I use it I actually heat it up with a heat gun before applying it and it makes it pretty much permanent. At least screws are easily removable.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea my biggest thing of not wanting to use screws is because that can then start to rust.

I'll have to test everything out on placement, looks like I have to add extra wire length to reach passenger side nicely.

Question: I've had this HID kit for awhile, now I forget if something was wrong with the one kit or not, but I have two, each has one ballast and several resistors. Should I be having only one ballast? Or is it two harness kits for this?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will have one ballast per bulb.

I ziptied my 2 ballasts around the frame below the headlights. I put 3 long zipties around each. It has been fine, even with the heat (I had to replace one of the ballasts about 2 months ago after 2 1/2 years, the zip ties where still on there strong).

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone get their kit from Retroshop? I have a main electrical box (no clue the proper term) that I am curious where people mounted that. Also does each ground have to be separate or can I marry some of them?