bed liner body work question & prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After getting quotes from linex, and other places I have decided to do it myself so I can fit my next mods in my budget.

Ill be using the Upol Raptor kit, looks like this:

me-820-upol-raptor-bedliner_L.jpg

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

What kind of body filler should I be using for the bed? I want to make sure the bed it seemless as right now I have minor dents and boo boos.

Last edited:

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
good luck after seeing what happened to my buddies (tacky ) even with a bed cover and everything he put in there got black **** all over it i went with linex i know its pricy but so worth the non headache

guess if you live where its not always 95 every day you might be fine but here in ga its been like 98 and his looks like a tar pit he put a temp gauge inside the bed with the top on it was 105 inside and that crap was like tar

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please be a bit more specific about the end result being tacky? Sounds like he didn't properly mix the hardener in with the bottles, raptor liner is also UV protectant.

Ill let you guys know how this works, I plan on smoothing out all of the lines and welds to make it seemless. I just ordered the kit.

Last edited:

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
When it comes to DIY bedliners I dont care what brand or method you use PREP is the most important step! If you prep it good the product will work exactly as described. When I hear people complain about the DIY kits you usually can tell it was a prep issue.

What does that Raptor stuff cost? I know it sounds like its better cuz of the spray idea but you may be better off rolling it on. I have had experience on a past vehicle with Dupli Color Bed Armor and if you Prep good and constantly mix the stuff it comes out very nice. Dont buy the kit just a QT of it for about $40 all the other tools you need you can buy at Home Depot $15-$20. Stuff Drys fast and you can bust out 2-3 coats easily in a day.

In the end you get what you pay for tho, I find it best to go the expensive route because its faster, worry free and a better product. I Have had no problems with Rhino or LineX

Edit: Just watched a couple videos on that stuff and it actually looks pretty cool! I found it for about 130 which aint bad if that comes with everything you need.

Last edited:

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
no he did the heat not the sun makes it almost gooey was just giving u a real life what happened like i said the sun is not hitting it its the temp inside the bed with the cover on it make it almost melt but hey was just giving my 2 cents

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
I used plastikote rattelcan bedliner when I did the rockers on the Blazer I had. looked great and lasted till I sold it, last time I saw it it still hadn't faded or peeled, that was 2 years ago

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
good luck after seeing what happened to my buddies (tacky ) even with a bed cover and everything he put in there got black **** all over it i went with linex i know its pricy but so worth the non headache

guess if you live where its not always 95 every day you might be fine but here in ga its been like 98 and his looks like a tar pit he put a temp gauge inside the bed with the top on it was 105 inside and that crap was like tar

If he put that cover on shortly after applying I can see that happening. You gotta let this stuff bake out in the sun for a few days till its solid.

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
08quad on DT has done his last three beds and he lives in Phoenix. Its not the heat, its the prep work and kit that you use.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
and his looks like cottage cheese nastiness.........

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
i did rhino on mine and i love got it for 325 and a lifetime warranty only thing my brother is good for -discounts

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im not saying raptors all that, but I think it will turn out great if done properly.

From what ive seen, you adjust something on the gun to get the wanted texture. I have a good hand and eye, so I know it will come out good. Im just hoping it holds up in durability.

I got the kit for $109.00 shipped UPS to my door, linex wanted $700 for a UV protectant liner + $50 for over the rail.

I spent about an hour reading on raptor, and seeing outcomes. I don't like hurculiner as it looks cottage cheesish as mentioned about raptor above.

Its the method of application that changes the texture also, roll on gives a thicker texture compared to spraying.

Last edited:

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Damn 750 has got to be the highest quote I have ever seen!

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

bmsgaffer86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep us posted. Im subscribing.

I looked into line-x buts its just SO expensive. I am interested in seeing how well yours turns out.

Anyone ever look into using por-15 as a basecoat to really protect from rust/bumps?

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep us posted. Im subscribing.

I looked into line-x buts its just SO expensive. I am interested in seeing how well yours turns out.

Anyone ever look into using por-15 as a basecoat to really protect from rust/bumps?

Will keep ya guys posted, I read online por15 is good to use.

I got my kit, but haven't even sprayed it yet. Spent 4+ hours prepping yesterday, going to spend about another hour or so today.