Blacked out lights, help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For the headlights, split the case, paint the reflector, add HID projectors & lighting kit, reseal the case.

For the tails, use some VHT tinted clear.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking to actually tint the lenses, the best way is to take it to a shop that does window tint. Most of them will do lights too. Personally I hate tinted lenses, especially headlights, but if you really want to do it a tint shop will make it look the best. It will be glossy and smooth as glass because they'll use the window tint film, and you can also pick how dark you want it. The stuff out of the can usually looks like crap.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking to actually tint the lenses, the best way is to take it to a shop that does window tint. Most of them will do lights too. Personally I hate tinted lenses, especially headlights, but if you really want to do it a tint shop will make it look the best. It will be glossy and smooth as glass because they'll use the window tint film, and you can also pick how dark you want it. The stuff out of the can usually looks like crap.

Not a fan of blacked out/tinted tail lights either especially in the day light.Surprised there aren't more people rear ended because of these.Worst part is it would most likely be the guy that rear ended you that got charged even though he couldn't see your lights.

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Try Lamin-X. What I like about this product is that you can go back to factory look easily.

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For tinting with HVLP style;

Use an intercoat clear that you tint with black to desired percentage (30% = 3oz black to 7oz clear) thats just for easy math...

Spray a light dust coat, then build you additional coats as desired. Keep an incandescent light you can shine onto and into the housing handy to gauge the darkness. Once done, bury it in topcoat clear coat, wet sand, buff and polish... This method allows you to wet sand, or buff on the light should you ever get a scratch in the finish vs just spraying tinted clear and leaving it exposed. If you were to get scratch in that, you wouldn't be able to buff it out.

Sometimes I recommend buying a clear lens aftermarket unit with a black housing, then you can cheat and not have to tint so dark for daytime driving. If they are concerned about being seen in the day light. If this is you, I might try a film first as the paint would obviously be permanent.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really wish i could find a set of headlights for a 3 rd gen that had a dark back ground. My truck is blacked out and the headlights really stick out. I thought about tint but I am unsure how that will hold up. I dont need the lights to be dark just a touch of the shine to be taken away.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Not a fan of blacked out/tinted tail lights either especially in the day light.Surprised there aren't more people rear ended because of these.Worst part is it would most likely be the guy that rear ended you that got charged even though he couldn't see your lights.
not a fan either but i don't know if that is necessarily true. i am pretty sure tinted light are illegal most places since they reduce the distance and light output so if someone had tinted tail lights and got rear ended they may also possibly end up with tickets for the tinted lights. i know a lot of the time when you tint tail lights the brake lights usually barely look like the marker lights and the marker lights practically become invisible.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
not a fan either but i don't know if that is necessarily true. i am pretty sure tinted light are illegal most places since they reduce the distance and light output so if someone had tinted tail lights and got rear ended they may also possibly end up with tickets for the tinted lights. i know a lot of the time when you tint tail lights the brake lights usually barely look like the marker lights and the marker lights practically become invisible.

If the cops come, I'm sure they will get a ticket. But the problem is, you have to follow at a safe distance, even if the person in front is a ******* (not about tinting the tail lights, but just driving like a *******). It is your responsibility to not hit them. It will likely be the rear-ender who is responsibility.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
If the cops come, I'm sure they will get a ticket. But the problem is, you have to follow at a safe distance, even if the person in front is a ******* (not about tinting the tail lights, but just driving like a *******). It is your responsibility to not hit them. It will likely be the rear-ender who is responsibility.

but when you tint the tail lights you also tint the reflectors and take away any possibility of people seeing your vehicle especially if the weather conditions are not very favorable. i think it would be up to the cop but you can guarantee the insurance company would probably try to screw you if they find out since you would have purposely negatively effected the light output from your lights. i am pretty sure in most places the lights have to meet certain lighting output standards which is why tinting tail lights is usually illegal.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
To each their own. Personally, I also feel having "any lamp" tinted is asking for an accident. Yes, even if it's the person following me that doesn't see me is at fault, I would hate to have my truck damaged let alone any family or passenger that was with me. Also, call me crazy, but I find many and maybe most of the front turn signals on newer vehicles are difficult enough to see especially on a bright sunny day without tint.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
To each their own. Personally, I also feel having "any lamp" tinted is asking for an accident. Yes, even if it's the person following me that doesn't see me is at fault, I would hate to have my truck damaged let alone any family or passenger that was with me. Also, call me crazy, but I find many and maybe most of the front turn signals on newer vehicles are difficult enough to see especially on a bright sunny day without tint.
that is another thing. a lot of the time if you get your vehicle totaled like that you never get all your money back and sometime you are still stuck owing money on the totaled vehicle or if you get your vehicle fixed a lot of the time it is branded and no longer worth as much as if it wasn't branded.

you are not the only one finding the turn signals on newer vehicle nearly impossibly to see some days. definitely not as obvious on the newer vehicles as the old one

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For tinting with HVLP style;

Use an intercoat clear that you tint with black to desired percentage (30% = 3oz black to 7oz clear) thats just for easy math...

Spray a light dust coat, then build you additional coats as desired. Keep an incandescent light you can shine onto and into the housing handy to gauge the darkness. Once done, bury it in topcoat clear coat, wet sand, buff and polish... This method allows you to wet sand, or buff on the light should you ever get a scratch in the finish vs just spraying tinted clear and leaving it exposed. If you were to get scratch in that, you wouldn't be able to buff it out.

Sometimes I recommend buying a clear lens aftermarket unit with a black housing, then you can cheat and not have to tint so dark for daytime driving. If they are concerned about being seen in the day light. If this is you, I might try a film first as the paint would obviously be permanent.

That is how the taillights on my Bullitt are done. So much better than the VHT crap that gets dull and chalky over time. Mine have been done for about 8 years and still look like the day I got them.

DARKNHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That is how the taillights on my Bullitt are done. So much better than the VHT crap that gets dull and chalky over time. Mine have been done for about 8 years and still look like the day I got them.

Thanks... It's the only way in my mind. You get what you pay for!

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I really wish i could find a set of headlights for a 3 rd gen that had a dark back ground. My truck is blacked out and the headlights really stick out. I thought about tint but I am unsure how that will hold up. I dont need the lights to be dark just a touch of the shine to be taken away.
Saw these listed for '07 dodge locally. They did not know what brand they are.
01212_cbOdoA85VYq_600x450.jpg

Nikki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same problem here. Light covers render even your highbeams useless. Apart from professionally painted ones or expensive aftermarket i cant find a solution

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same problem here. Light covers render even your highbeams useless. Apart from professionally painted ones or expensive aftermarket i cant find a solution

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I thought if Joe. G & Nikki haven't found lights yet, they might be interested in these.

Stock OEM Design, black housing. The reflector is even cleared.

$_3.jpg
$_3.jpg

You can buy them for $148.98 here -> New For 2006 2007 2008 Dodge RAM 1500/2500/3500 Black Headlights Clear Reflector

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look nice, Id like them more if they had a slight tint to the lens.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963