bondo correctly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good day, this is my second time doing bondo and I know that I am doing something wrong cause you cans see where the repair is as you can see from this picture. What am I doing wrong, I want to believe that the reason why it turns out like this is because it is cold out side. I live in Chicago so winter hasn't left yet. Is it my sanding or what am I doing wrong here? How do you know when to stop sanding? I am going to wait for it to actually get into the 60-70 before I do this again but I guess this is good for now. Perhaps it just takes practice? Any suggestions would be appreciated...thank you in advance!!
:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Attachments

• 2014-03-10 17.58.21.jpg
    2014-03-10 17.58.21.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 82

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
its a little high still, needs to be sanded down further to blend with panel

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
most of the time bondo usually gets as smooth as can be when you see a lot of metal showing through the bondo... depending on the damage you are trying to cover up, usually you barely need any bondo and can sand it down almost as if there is no bondo. look up a couple of videos on youtube. there are a lot of helpful videos. i have watch numerous videos on how to prep and paint cars, waiting for the day i get to paint a car myself!

OP
OP
G

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hmm ok thanks guys for the input much appreciated!! so basically the object of bondo is to create a smooth surface not necessarily to cover up. ok will go checkout some youtube and see what I am doing wrong...thank you again!!

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
and next time you think you are done sanding, close your eyes and run your fingers over the repaired area. if you can feel even a small lump from the metal to the bondo you need to sand more.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A long board and high build primer to show up the low spots.

And please tell me there is no rust left under that bondo.

OP
OP
G

gurowar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you all for the info I will give it another shot and follow what you all suggested and
no there is no rust, I took a grinder and took off all the rust as well as hit the area with
a rust converter just in case. I am planning to get another tailgate so this is more of a learning lesson for me but I appreciate all your advise!!!