cleaning frame surface rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Has anyone under taken this project yet? I bought an 04 hemi with minimal frame rust until I removed the bumper (for a roll pan) and rear tire because I do not want it under the truck.

After this was removed I notice a lot of rust starting around where that spare was. Since I doing the truck up I know POR15 is about the best product out there.

However I can't spary inside the frame and that leads me to my question, what do I do about this?

Localy we have a power coater who can do blasting and coating on items about 4 times the size of my hemi so the frame would be easy for him. I kind of hate the truck is a boxed frame and wondering shall I do as best of a job around frame drain holes and then weld them shut and all holes in frame so nothing can get in?

I like the "C" channel frames better but well dodge didnt use this.

Hope someone can advise.

As far as body I have been removing peice and taking them to get Line-x. My entire underside and inside of the bed and all pinch welds were done so far. Basicly I felt if it was going to see elements of outside it needed to be preserved.

Heres a pic of the under/inside of my roll pan. The line-x dealer felt more auto mfgs should coat under bodys of trucks with somthing rather then primer because it would save a lot of issues and money. Lucky my under body didnt have any rust yet but was not going to take the chance.

Until I am done I will have about 3 grand of line-x on the truck, it will never have body rust again!

I've temped doing my oen 1Inch body lift in order to do the frame myself or I need to sorce and junk yard frame and have a friend so all my welding and slowly do the swap of all parts.

buying a new truck would not really solve any of these issues as it not be protected properly either.

My 04 Honda civic however came with a full protection coating new. and til the day 170K miles later no rust...i dont even clean salt off it!

yay for honda...boo for mopar...

Attachments

• linex.jpg
    linex.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 629
OP
OP
oldskool83

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Internal Frame Coating - Prevent Rust - from Eastwood - YouTube per eastwood

Jeep Frame Coating - YouTube per a DYI jeep user

youtute.com per another DYI jeep owner

MY REALITY JEEP LIFE E65 PAINTING THE YJ FRAME - YouTube more explination by jeep owner on internal

Jeep Wrangler TJ Update #31 "Internal Frame Coating" - YouTube anotherone

Eastwwod's internal frame coating - Mopar Forums

I'm still wondering how we do our long ass frames to clean 1st? blow in somthing like simple green or mineral spirits and lets is clean it 1st? I'm pretty sold on trying this stuff on the inside of my rocker panels and frame. I will use a wire bristle brush and my air compressor to blow out what I can.

Per Eastwoods Contact today:
Sean02: How can i help you today
Aaron: Hi, I am looking at your internal frame coating product. I would like to know what eastwood best recomends on how to clean out a 9 year old boxed truck frame before applying this product.
Sean02: Where were you applying the product?
Sean02: Oh nevermind i just read it
Sean02: All you need to do is shoot compressed air through it to remoove any large flakes and than spray from there
Aaron: So do not use anything like simple green or mineral spirits and pressure wash aything like road salt or road dust out?
Sean02: No it'll take a while for it to dry out before applying and its not relaly needed with the internal frame coating
Aaron: ok I wanted to make sure. I can blow out with compressed air and then apply. how about top coating with wax product I see you sell or more paint?
Sean02: I would not top coat the internal frame coating
Aaron: last internal question, should this be done once and done by 1 coat, 2 coats and shall I reapply say 2-3 years down the road.
Sean02: Honestly 1 heavy coat will do the trick while spraying it just go heavy with it but enough to do 1 side of a frame at a time. So 2 can will do both frmae rails
Aaron: SO that's it, 10 years from now no extra rust should form under it's surface?
Sean02: That is correct sir
Aaron: Sweet.

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating Rust Prevention w Spray Nozzle | eBay

Bought 2 cans, gonna give it a try before winter sets in, outside of frame should be easy next year then but many man hours ahead of me on weekends.

Hopefully a week of research pays off. I ever searched this forum and found nothing!

Kinda off no one every talks about the frames insides ever until it too late.

Maybe this will help some people, if not I just helped myself.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to tackle this job and was told if your going do it do it right, which requires taking the bed off frame and just painting over whole frame under bed. I was looking at POR-15 but then also found the company Chassis Saver and read alot of good reviews on them. No sure who I will pick though.