dissapointed...any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Jasper
Hi all,

I recently installed the front half of the Rough Country 3" leveling kit (coil springs/rear blocks/4 shocks) in my 2002 2wd 1500. I can see where it worked and the truck is damn near level without even installing the rear blocks yet. However, it looks like I am nowhere near being able to run anything taller than about a 34" tire. A local shop that was recommended took a look at the fender clearance and that's what we estimated. I have seen other comments on a number of pages that made it look like that amount of lift would comfortably fit 35s, but I'm sure it will tear the front fender/bumper during turns with any angle at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
from what i remember the 2wd 3rd gens can not fit 35's with just a level, but the 4 wheel drives can. Add a small body lift and they will fit

OP
OP
R

rrodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Jasper
Thanks for the info...I asked the local tire/wheel guy about just adding a body lift, and he seemed to think it was more trouble than it was worth for an extra inch of tire. Having never worked with body lifts, how much do you think I would need (roughly)? Also, are there any things to look for in the way of extra parts/complications when installing a body lift? My other thought was just having a body shop cut the metal fender and installing flares...opinion? I also have been informed that changing my stock 20" wheels out for something with a negative offset will do the trick but from what I'm looking at on my truck, outside fender clearance may still be an issue with offset wheels during turns, especially if not on level ground. Thanks again for the help!

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
A friend of mine has the 3 in and with 35s on it And all he had to do was trim a bit if the plastic fender well.

OP
OP
R

rrodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Jasper
I wouldn't mind having to trim the plastic inner fender, but on my truck it sure looks like a 35 will hit the metal outer fender. Maybe not when they are mounted...but it sure looks like they won't fit with the stock setup on there. Thanks for the help!