Does my truck need winter tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EZERKENEGDO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMMINS
Hi all, I have a 4x4 Ram 2500 with a Cummins engine. I live in Southwestern Colorado where I mostly drive around town and on some mountain passes where the roads can get a bit sketchy. This is my second winter here with the Dodge and I have weighed down the bed with sandbags, and typically use 4 wheel drive when there is snow on the ground. I haven't noticed too much sliding but I don't feel entirely confident to drive above 35-40 mph when the roads are icy or snowy. When I bought the truck two years ago they came with standard tires that had a good amount of tread on them, great condition. But they aren't anything special. Do you think it would be beneficial to get some winter tires? Specifically studded snow tires? There has been a lot of snow lately so I don't want to impulsively buy, but I'm thinking and hearing they could be a great investment and give me more confidence for a truck in the winter.

I appreciate all helpful thoughts!:)

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its always nice to have winter and summer tires and switch them depending on the season if you can buy them and have a place to put your current tires than i say go for it.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I live in Alaska and don't switch between tires. That said, I make sure my tires are a good all-season tread pattern with a snow rating, IN GOOD CONDITION, and even more importantly, change my driving habits as road conditions dictate.

Good all season tires with a proper snow rating in reality are only about a 25-35k mile tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Winter tires (great for ALL winter conditions, not just snow and ice) are always a good investment if you live in a climate that gets below freezing a lot of the time.

If you don't want to go to a full-on winter tire, and having to swap them out every spring and fall, think about a 4-season all-terrain tire that's winter rated (3-peak or snowflake symbol) such as the Goodyear Duratrac, BFG KO2, Falken Wildpeak AT3W etc. They're a good compromise tire but will fall short of a true winter tire for icy and very slippery conditions.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
True enough. Also bear in mind that 4wd only helps you go. Doesn't do squat to help you stop. Only your speed and traction help with that on snow and ice.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Check out this video of a comparison.

https://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

Great video. Finally someone who correctly says that a snow tire works by picking up snow and drastically increases the surface area of the tire (ice crystals) and that they work COMPLETELY opposite of a mud tire that works by clearing its tread.

OP
OP
E

EZERKENEGDO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMMINS
Thank you everyone. This is all very helpful! I feel it makes more sense to get winter tires and rotate, having each pair last longer as opposed to an all season tire. Now I just need to decide if the risk is worth the cost of getting the tires.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you everyone. This is all very helpful! I feel it makes more sense to get winter tires and rotate, having each pair last longer as opposed to an all season tire. Now I just need to decide if the risk is worth the cost of getting the tires.

One more caveat,studs do nothing in snow, only on super hard pack or ice. Hope that makes sense.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just to put it in perspective, a set of 4 winter tires - assuming stock 17" size - will cost about $500, and I'm sure the local Craigslist will yield some rims to mount them on for cheap. For me that is worth the money for the extra safety and control I have driving in winter conditions, and makes me more confident. Depending on your capabilities, changing and rotating the tires yourself is also possible if you have the time and inclination to do so.

Sometimes I will have to travel through bad weather, and I like to have every edge that I can give myself in those conditions.

EDIT: Regarding studs, that is a bit of personal preference. If it gets really icy where you are, they might help. If not, then they're not too useful and it will be annoying on highway drives. I drive a lot of highway miles, but I run Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's which are about as good as a studless tire that you can get for our trucks.

Last edited: