Expensive mistake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
The weekend before last I was over at my parents house for my dad's birthday. I had my truck parked in the driveway. My dad always parks to the side of the driveway in the grass...has for years. He drives a 2006 or 2007 Dakota.

Anyway, he was leaving and backed out like he does every time...he's done it so much his truck practically steers itself. Well, it steered itself into the rear passenger fender of my truck. :whymewhyme: He's all upset about it and tells me he will pay for it and all. On the one hand I'm mad, but I can't blame him especially on his birthday.

Anyway, the damage isn't too bad. 3 dents right above the tire. But the paint is cracked so I know I have to get it fixed and painted or else it will be rusted in no time. So I go to get an estimate from one place today....$925!!!!!! Needless to say I will be getting more estimates. Holy crap!

I wish it would have been someone I'm not related to that would have hit it. It would make things a lot easier.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Ouch

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Damn man sorry to hear but it will be straight soon

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Yeah I knew someone was going to ask for that. I'll take some when I get home if it isn't too dark. The ironic thing is that his taillight is what hit my truck and all it did to his truck was scuff the taillight a little bit. Didn't even crack it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$975 for bodywork and repainting a bedside doesn't sound that bad.

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ouch that sucks dude. Good luck on getting it fixed man!

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man that stinks! At least he is offering to pay for it, some parents wouldnt go that far haha. Also, I think you could buy that quarter panel and weld it on yourself/friend and might be able to save you some money? Just tossin ideas out there. Hopefully you can find a better estimate

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hate to say it, that's cheap.. I've got some paint damage on the passenger side of my truck.. rock chips and a key mark.. The body shop won't look at it for less than $1800...

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch, sorry to hear. I have a dent below my taillight with cracked paint and a scuffed up taillight and my estimate was very close to yours.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Here are the pics. It was wet this morning but you can still see the damage pretty well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'm going to try to get a couple more estimates today.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
oh that sucks. Definitely a tough situation since it was your father

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
The thing about the cost of the repair is that my mom and dad are retired and on a fixed income. Although they really don't have any bills, I hate to present them with a $900+ bill for this. So after I get a few more estimates I might just pay most of it myself and tell them it was just a few hundred dollars.

Not that I have the money either...I'll just have to wait a little longer for the body lift, exhaust, and new amps and speakers. *sigh*

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
For that price you could almost buy a complete box

If this makes you feel any better here is a pic of my box.
100_0850.jpg

This is what it looks like now. Had taken a bottle jack and a block of wood and pushed it out aways. The heat over the summer did the rest.
1105111559.jpg