Finally getting my truck painted (a horror story)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Be careful of what you post regarding your case on public forums if you don't want your opposition to know about the details before they are brought up in court.

....and good luck with your case.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wise counsel.

I'll hold off on providing any more details and updates even though I've never used my name or the shop name in any of these posts (that I can remember).

Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I am just seeing this thread now, that paint job is awful, I could do better with water mix with house paint in my spray gun. There is no fixing that , That truck needs to be sanded down and redone from scratch. Good luck I have seen $1,000 Bargain paint jobs better then that.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
wow, i am just seeing this thread now, that paint job is awful, i could do better with water mix with house paint in my spray gun. There is no fixing that , that truck needs to be sanded down and redone from scratch. Good luck i have seen $1,000 bargain paint jobs better then that.

Image1486243986.838470.jpg

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Final update - I lost in court!!!! :jawdrop:

So I have all my docs in order with pics to support before & after claims. I had an estimate for over $7400 to get the paint redone and then another $650 to get the bed Linex.

The only thing I can think of that had the judge favor the defendant was that the original job was $2200 and he questioned why the new paint would be $7k. I told him that was the estimate provided by one of the most reputable shops in SA to get the bad paint off and a quality paint job completed.

Nothing, zip, nada, bupkus.....that's what I got from the court. I'm even out the $125 filing fee to sue the guy.

All this on my birthday too.

Well, lessoned learned - should've used the higher estimates to justify getting my original $2200 back and be stuck with the crap paint job. As it stands now, I've lost even more money & time and am STILL stuck with a crap paint job.

Not happy.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks man. I feel horrible for you and would be fuming if I was in your situation. But like I said in post 77 (even though a lot of people disagreed lol) the court does and will look at what you paid vs what other estimates to do the same work are and make a determination of whether they think you got what you paid for, and apparently they think you did. Just because I called what was gonna happen doesn't mean I agree with it. Those guys hosed you for sure. Best thing you can do now is put their name out there for as many people to see the kind of work they do

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
That sucks man. I feel horrible for you and would be fuming if I was in your situation. But like I said in post 77 (even though a lot of people disagreed lol) the court does and will look at what you paid vs what other estimates to do the same work are and make a determination of whether they think you got what you paid for, and apparently they think you did. Just because I called what was gonna happen doesn't mean I agree with it. Those guys hosed you for sure. Best thing you can do now is put their name out there for as many people to see the kind of work they do

yes do that, all over social media, everyplace you can think of, but dont talk any crap about them, let the pictures do all the talking, post close up pictures of the work, and just show it off as if it was a million dollar paint job, that way they cant come after you for slander, oh and post a pic of the receipt with their company logo on it so that there is no denying it, if you cant get your money back, cost them 5x that amount in future customers!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
also if you are ever in houston, come by and see me man, i am a professional detailer, i know there is no fixing that, but might be able to do some minimizing it

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

At the end of the day, I absolutely got what I paid for - garbage.

I'm still confused by the fact that I had documentation that (1) the job they provided was crap and (2) it was gonna take $5k-$7k to repair the damage their shoddy work caused.

I am fuming - and also wondering if it would've different if I had just asked for my money back and keep the crappy paint job. Then I would have to come out of pocket to get the job done right.

Buyer beware, indeed.:Frustrated:

Last edited:
OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
also if you are ever in houston, come by and see me man, i am a professional detailer, i know there is no fixing that, but might be able to do some minimizing it

Awesome and thanks!

I'm actually gonna be in Houston for the U2 concert in May at NRG stadium. Bringing the whole family so don't think they wanna spend 3 hours banging down the highway on my 2500 HD suspension ride. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
yes do that, all over social media, everyplace you can think of...if you cant get your money back, cost them 5x that amount in future customers!

The sad part is that this shop operates in a lower income part of town and feasts on the fact that most folks can't afford to be without their vehicle very long so they accept his crappy jobs nor can they afford to pay the processing fee to go to court and miss time from work going there.

For every one of me, he has 10 other jobs lined up for his cut rate "specials". He'll just make it up in volume.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Final update - I lost in court!!!! :jawdrop:

So I have all my docs in order with pics to support before & after claims. I had an estimate for over $7400 to get the paint redone and then another $650 to get the bed Linex.

The only thing I can think of that had the judge favor the defendant was that the original job was $2200 and he questioned why the new paint would be $7k. I told him that was the estimate provided by one of the most reputable shops in SA to get the bad paint off and a quality paint job completed.

Nothing, zip, nada, bupkus.....that's what I got from the court. I'm even out the $125 filing fee to sue the guy.

All this on my birthday too.

Well, lessoned learned - should've used the higher estimates to justify getting my original $2200 back and be stuck with the crap paint job. As it stands now, I've lost even more money & time and am STILL stuck with a crap paint job.

Not happy.

I am baffled!?! !?!

How did you lose this in court?

Did you have pictures? etc?

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I am baffled!?! !?!

How did you lose this in court?

Did you have pictures? etc?

I had before, during and after pics for all 3 times I took the truck in - to include circling the deficiencies on each photo. Over 80 total photos brought to court.

I had a gig sheet, signed by the shop manager, outlining issues that needed resolved after bringing it in a second time and photos showing they weren't resolved.

I had 2 estimates from reputable shops breaking out the work needed to remove the paint work that the precious shop did & how much it was to reapply a quality job ($5700 & $7400) plus an estimate from a Linex shop to just spray the liner in ($650) AFTER somebody else removed the existing faulty liner.

Plus I had my "paid in full" receipt which the owner altered and entered as evidence stating that I still owed $250 for his install of my headlights, tail lights and using texture paint on my bumper trim - which he offered to do for free since he had to remove the old lights to prep the vehicle for paint. The judge didn't honor his counter claim.

I'm totally at a loss to explain why I lost unless the judge thought my professional estimates were excessive. It's the only thing I can think of.

The entire proceeding lasted less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
to be honest bud i think the judge might have thought you were going to try to make the owner pay for the new paint work and yes he might be looking out for the small business owner did you tell the judge you just wanted a full refund due to non-satisfactory work being done to your vehicle??? because it doesnt matter if you were given a "great deal" on the paint job the owner should have given you what was agreed upon which was a good paint job and if it was not to your standards of which you established at the beggining of the deal then you should have recieved a refund. im sorry the judge wasnt on your side on this one like all of us are on RF.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
to be honest bud i think the judge might have thought you were going to try to make the owner pay for the new paint work and yes he might be looking out for the small business owner did you tell the judge you just wanted a full refund due to non-satisfactory work being done to your vehicle???

And that's where I think I went wrong. I asked for full repair costs from a reputable shop, which came to over $8k when you factor in the Linex. I didn't think I needed to bargain with the court and honestly thought they'd find that refunding just $2200 would be fair. Alas, I didn't support my position enough in the court's opinion and was awarded $0.

Drv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow that's some bs right there

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members