Frame rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guy I'm new to this forum I drive a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 truck pretty clean just 1 problem my whole frame is nice and solid except for 1 side the bottom frame under the driver side rear door the bottom of the frame has rust and it went through it's only that section has rust the rest is fine. I was wondering if it's worth fixing getting it welded or not let me know what you guys think. I'll attach a photo so you guys can get a better idea. Suck it's just that 1 area the rest is nice and solid. Oh and I I post this in the wrong section please move it's sorry. Thanks guys let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 65

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
If that's the worst of it then yes, fix it.

OP
OP
O

OhDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be I'm not so sure either so what you guys think? And yes the the ONLY spot. Worth fixing or its junk? If it's worth fixing what should I do to fix it? My buddy is a welder he tig welds

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a corrosion expert, but I'd say that because of the rust, the metal fatigued in the immediate and fractured. I'd take it to your friend (if you trust his TIG skills) and weld in a doubler of the same alloy.

There's another thread on here (can't remember the OPs name), but he had some corrosion around the fuel tank strap area. He did a pretty nice weld repair using a doubler as well. I'd do a quick search and maybe get some ideas and weld method from that post.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would fix it and sell it. By the time he cuts out all the bad rust you're going to have one hell of a whole.

OP
OP
O

OhDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there's no permenant repair for this?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a permanent fix for surface rust. As long as it is only surface. There are 2 options I know of:

1) you brush some product (forgot the name) onto the rust, it stops the rust and changes the color black. You can then paint over this. It stops the rust.

2) POR15, this comes from boating, it is Paint Over Rust. This stuff works amazing. Lots of guys in my previous jeep clubs on builds left frames out to get a nice coat of rust just so they could use POR15. If the part sees direct sunlight, it will need a special POR UV coating. This stuff works AMAZINGLY WELL...

But, when the metal has rusted to the point it isn't structurally sound, your only hope is to either cut out the bad, and replace, or replace the entire point (body panel, or frame).

Last edited:

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sucks! 3m makes a product as JPT mentioned that chemically stops corrosion and turns it black, I've used it on car parts with excellent results. That said...

That bad part about rust it's the damage is always far more widespread than where your focal point is. The only way to really stop it is to cut it all out and replace it with ****** steel. On body panels where you see some bubbles you'd be shocked what's behind the panel and how much larger an area you are cutting out to be rid of the bad metal. With a frame it's a little different as it's thicker material with less surface area, but it still applies. The other thing is the frame is the structural backbone of the vehicle, so strength is obviously a big deal. From what I'm seeing you could cutout the bad metal and weld in new, basically scabbing in a patch. But it's gonna be more metal than you think once you really dig into it (if you do it properly anyway). You're going to need to stitch your new metal to CLEAN THICK existing frame and I guarantee you'll be spreading out your work area to find that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OhDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok let's say if I decide to fix just and sand the frame down to the area where there's clean metal and weld a new patch to it would it be as strong as before still? Would I be able to tow my boat and plow still?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok let's say if I decide to fix just and sand the frame down to the area where there's clean metal and weld a new patch to it would it be as strong as before still? Would I be able to tow my boat and plow still?

As long as the welds are good, and you patch to good strong metal, yes...

What you might want to do, is POR15 the rest of the frame right now, to save it.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As long as the welds are good, and you patch to good strong metal, yes...

What you might want to do, is POR15 the rest of the frame right now, to save it.
^^^What he said^^^.

The key thing is a proper repair with GOOD (or even better GREAT) welds. If you do that, the repair will be plenty strong, likely stronger than many other areas of the frame that are corroded/fatigued from time and use.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I restored the entire underside of my truck.
Looked like it had been sitting in a salt tub.
Did everything with Por 15 and Eastwood products, all oem correct colors.
Looks great and now I have the protection.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
providing it is done the right way it will be as strong as before. You will be amazed how much rust is actually in there once they start cutting away at the metal. Rust starts from the inside out.