Going to Get SRT-10 Hood I have some ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to order a SRT-10 hood for my 04 Ram,
Should I order Factory HOOD & COMPONENTS for 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Mines an 04 do I order a 04 SRT hood or are they same though out the years?

Is there a good aftermarket one?

Do I reuse the latch and hinges and everything from my current truck?

Does grill and the grill frame get reused?

Does the hood get any kinda insulation under it?

What is this part ? Does it come with the hood and do i need it or is there something else to use?
2005 Dodge Ram Truck SRT- Paint to Match Hood Scoop Insert Smooth - Paint to Match Mopar YL23TZZAB at 1A Auto.com

Thanks

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I want to order a SRT-10 hood for my 04 Ram,
Should I order Factory HOOD & COMPONENTS for 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Mines an 04 do I order a 04 SRT hood or are they same though out the years?

02-08...09 are all the same

Is there a good aftermarket one?

Shop around and read reviews to find best deal.

Do I reuse the latch and hinges and everything from my current truck?

Everything will transfer right over to the SRT-10 hood.

Does grill and the grill frame get reused?

Yes

Does the hood get any kinda insulation under it?

Just reuse the insulation from the stock hood if it doesn't come with new, the scoop is "non functional", but can be made "functional with modification.

What is this part ? Does it come with the hood and do i need it or is there something else to use?
2005 Dodge Ram Truck SRT- Paint to Match Hood Scoop Insert Smooth - Paint to Match Mopar YL23TZZAB at 1A Auto.com

This part replaces the factory "non functional" scoop to a "function scoop". There's a lot of debating on here about scooped hoods and they're really just to keep good air flow going in to keep engine bay temps down.

Thanks

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All your answers right there. OEM is the best quality, usually the hood doesn't come with the bezel/scoop. Last I heard they were nowhere to be found new or on one helluva back order. If you use the SRT bezel instead of the Daytona, you'll need to modify the hood insulation if you have it. I can't remember if the SRT-10 hood insulation has a viper emblem or not, or if it even comes with it. My 03 didn't come with insulation so it was an easy transfer.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am trying to follow you lol,
SO the SRT Hood is not open and the scoop does not allow air in? If I wanted it to be open What would I have to do?

Do i need to order that insert or does the hood come with something different?

I Can run the hood with out insulation? I was searching Dodge parts sites and I am not seeing it listed but I see SRT Pictures with insulation.

And what is on Back order the hood?

Thank you

p.S what is the difference between Daytona and SRT Bezel?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I am trying to follow you lol,
SO the SRT Hood is not open and the scoop does not allow air in? If I wanted it to be open What would I have to do?

Do i need to order that insert or does the hood come with something different?

If you buy OEM they come "bare bones", if you buy aftermarket you'll get the scoop included on some hoods and some not.The "non functional" scoop is easily modified with a Dremel and some mesh to make it "functional"

I Can run the hood with out insulation? I was searching Dodge parts sites and I am not seeing it listed but I see SRT Pictures with insulation.

Yes - you do not NEED the underhood insulation, but it's there if you do.

And what is on Back order the hood?

The OEM hoods were on national BO, but everyone is getting 4th gen now they are able to catch up on the BO. OEM goes for around $800 while aftermarket is around $600 for a quality hood. Calll your local Dodge House and a price and ETA on one, as they differ per dealer.

Thank you

p.S what is the difference between Daytona and SRT Bezel?

Not positive, but I think the SRT-10 is "fuctional" and the Daytona version is "non". So SRT-10 open....Daytona closed. Most of your aftermarket SRT-10 "look alike's" will have "non function" bezels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OEM SRT hood scoop is open from factory I do not need to cut it correct?

Do I need the bezel? Or could I fill holes in hood where in mounts and leave it open?

I have not seen one of these hoods up close in person, Sorry if the questions seem like common sense.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The OEM SRT hood scoop is open from factory I do not need to cut it correct?

Do I need the bezel? Or could I fill holes in hood where in mounts and leave it open?

I have not seen one of these hoods up close in person, Sorry if the questions seem like common sense.

I'm only going off my own research from when I wanted to get one, but I believe that SRT-10 bezel (because it's a sport(s) truck) had an open one.

It wouldn't look right with the bezel out, they're pricey, but as it goes for everything on our trucks... you gotta pay if you want good.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My SRT10 OEM hood came with the open bezel. There are intake systems you can get that will allow you to route cold air into the intake.

20150206_151612_zpsd11b6bf7.jpg

No hood insulation was provided but I noted I could trim a stock hood insulation blanket and mount it on the hood where it would not interfere with airflow into the engine bay. It had the holes in it that the plastic rivets would go into to mount the blanket. I never did it, though. Didn't see the need.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill Get everything I need, i hope shipping is not a lot.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called around a little, and the Hood still is available with plenty in stock. You can also get it though the Accessory catalog complete and it's cheaper then ordering it separate.

Ill probably wait untill spring to get it.

From my understanding it is the same hood either way.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered my hood today, its going on a Black truck I am wondering what color should I paint the bezel,
Leave it plastic color?
paint it to match hood?
Flat Black?
Thanks

tourdemon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered my hood today, its going on a Black truck I am wondering what color should I paint the bezel,
Leave it plastic color?
paint it to match hood?
Flat Black?
Thanks

Welcome to the family!

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Left mine as is, I like it

DSC01469_zps2228482e.jpg~original

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I want a SRT hood but I really don't want to pay $650. It'd be nice if one popped up on craigslist.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen them on E Bay but by the time, you pay the asking price of 250-350, then pay to ship it and then repair the damage that they have you are into it for what a new hood cost.

I think I am going to try and leave mine the black plastic, Ill paint it later if I don't like it.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered the Hood I think on Friday and I got it today and dropped it off at my buddies Body shop. The Bezel that came with it was already in a primer gray unlike the hood which was primer black. So it looks as if Ill paint the bezel the color of the truck and just leave the little plastic screen plastic black color. I am also going to have him paint and clear the bottom of the hood, unsure at this point if ill order the hood insulation to put on as it is on back order at this time.

While it is at the shop I am also going to have him paint the ram emblem on the front like a satin black, It is the only emblem left on the truck, Id remove it but it appears indented in the grill.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my Hood painted and installed, I don't have any pictures, I painted and cleared the top and the bottom of the hood black and painted the air scoop, the only thing I left Flat black was the grill part of the scoop. The hood fits great and looks great, I may get the Insulation when it becomes available as it is on Back order at the moment. I am glad I went factory as I am quiet picky and this hood fits perfect.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my Hood painted and installed, I don't have any pictures, I painted and cleared the top and the bottom of the hood black and painted the air scoop, the only thing I left Flat black was the grill part of the scoop. The hood fits great and looks great, I may get the Insulation when it becomes available as it is on Back order at the moment. I am glad I went factory as I am quiet picky and this hood fits perfect.
Good thing you went factory, the aftermarket fiberglass ones never fit perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk