Good place to hook aftermarket DRL's to on 2008 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as the title says, lookin for a good spot to wire my new headlight's CCFL's and LED's to for being used as DRL's. Instructions say to hook the wires up to a couple wires on the turn signal harnesses but I want those lights to turn on with the ignition, not the park lamps, thanks.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the key power to switch the relay to send 12v to the drls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been thinking about doing this with my fog lights on my 2005

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been thinking about doing this with my fog lights on my 2005

Hmm. Never heard of doin that.

That might be kinda difficult since you're dealing with factory wires.

Sounds like a neat concept, tho. I'm assuming you'd still be able to use your fogs as originally intended. I wonder if by doing this, if it would make your fogs stay on with the high beams since they'd essentially be getting power from another source?

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an hid system in my fogs I would just tap in to it there

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can hook it up by using an add a fuse to your wiper circuit or any other 12v key on source. It won't pull much amperage to switch the relay

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can hook it up by using an add a fuse to your wiper circuit or any other 12v key on source. It won't pull much amperage to switch the relay

I wonder if I really would need a relay, tho. Fuse, definitely I can see but those LED's won't draw a whole lot, tho. Now the CCFL halos on the other hand, I'm not sure about what the current draw is of those.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would personally use one to just be on the safe side. Wouldn't want to over draw a circuit that is only designed to have a certain amount of current. Plus it would assure you that the halos would be getting proper voltage

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would personally use one to just be on the safe side. Wouldn't want to over draw a circuit that is only designed to have a certain amount of current. Plus it would assure you that the halos would be getting proper voltage

That is true....

Since I'm wanting to use my halos and LED's as full blown DRL's, they need to be getting full current.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
the LEDs and Halos from the lights you have coming require minimal current, they will run on almost no power, look in the fuse box for the cig lighter fuse, that one turns on and off with the ignition, like you said just add a fuse to them but otherwise they are fine, its a total of what 10 LEDs and 4 halos, nothing to fear there unless your wiring skills suck

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the LEDs and Halos from the lights you have coming require minimal current, they will run on almost no power, look in the fuse box for the cig lighter fuse, that one turns on and off with the ignition, like you said just add a fuse to them but otherwise they are fine, its a total of what 10 LEDs and 4 halos, nothing to fear there unless your wiring skills suck

Yeah I figgered the LED's wouldn't hardly pull any kind of current but the CCFL's is what I wasn't sure about. Besides, don't they use a similar, "same basic concept" ballast to run them?

I went ahead anyway and hooked up an Anzo brand relay to power the LED's and the CCFL's just to be on the safe side since these Dodges can be a bit particular about tapping into circuits.

Put the relay on the driverside fender, between the firewall and the battery using an existing bolt and got the switched power from a fuse tap in the power distribution center. Ran a wire in wire loom on the inside of each fender to each headlight and pulled the power feed off that bolt that is on the front side of the fuse box under the hood that comes directly off the battery and put in a 15 amp fuse between the two. Used an existing ground bolt on the fender real close by to the new relay.

Y'all think I need to put like a 1 or fairly small fuse inline of the switched wire that comes out of the fuse box to the relay? I thought about it but figured since I used a fuse tap that that circuit would be protected from the fuse I tapped into.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
well where is the pic of the new headlights installed lol

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well where is the pic of the new headlights installed lol

UPS ain't even got 'em delivered yet!...[emoji41]

Sposed to be in today.

I got almost all the preliminary stuff done over the weekend so that when the new lights come in, all I gotta do is put my new bulbs in the lights, do a little bit more wiring and hook 'em up. lol.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
oh i misread, i thought you had already installed them lol