Got some Sonar's and smoked em'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N204life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So i got a killer deal on ebay for some brand new sonar tails w/3rd brake light for $60 shipped because it has a chip in the corner that i glued back on. Anyways i got them put in and noticed they they just didnt look right, it looked kinda honda to me. It just didnt fit the whole all black thing. So i said F'it ill smoke em and keep the all black style going. LONG story short dont ever ever ever use Rustoleum lense tint!!!!! EVER! It sucks ********. I sprayed, sanded, and buffed 3 different times trying to make the rustoleum look good and it always turned out flat black, no gloss at all. So finally i decided to go with the original and bought some VHT Night shades and it turned out exactly as i wanted. Here they are.

Before
X7WIC.jpg

After
4LTJR.jpg
7X6FW.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
looks great

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
Sweet good find

WK97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 12 v.
looks totally awesome. You should advertise for Rustoleum.:)

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
nice what size are your tires? and what size lift ?

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Damn! Truck looks sick man!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Looks good, how visibility do you have for people seeing the lights?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How many coats did you do? I'm wantin to smoke mine sometime soon but want the brake lights to still be visable too

OP
OP
N

N204life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks good, how visibility do you have for people seeing the lights?
My buddies who are driving behind me say you can barely tell the difference between running lights and braking when the headlights are on and that was with no tint. The lights are bright as hell so i think im doing everyone a favor with dimming them.

How many coats did you do? I'm wantin to smoke mine sometime soon but want the brake lights to still be visable too
I think i did 2 1/2 coats, 2 solid coats and one last final coat very lightly and you can still see the actual inside of the lights when there's a little sunshine on them so its not super dark. But looks perfect when they are not in direct sunlight. Also after the painting I put on some Meguiars Yellow Wax so they shinned better and gave them a UV coating. I think wax is a must, it made them really pop!

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alright cool, thanks!!