Grinding noise/ feeling when turning right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I got my truck back together and aligned ive noticed a grinding noise/ feeling only when turning right at speeds. Taking corners slowly or just sitting there I dont feel it. Only when Im going like over 30 or so and just barely turn the wheel right I can start to feel it. I know my bearings arent great but if that were the problem wouldnt it be happening all the time. It feels like it may be something with the pump, kind of that power steering feel when your low on fluid but Im not. any ideas???

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the bearings are loose, they can cause the noise around turns. No, they dont always groan all the time, sometimes the extra force of turning is needed to cause the bearing to groan.

It could also be something with the power steering system, I'm not too familiar with the older 3rd gens, is your truck rack/pinion or sector gearbox? With the latter, ive seen some cases where the box has bad valves and groans or grinds only when turning one direction. That cant really happen on a R&P. And it cant be the pump or it would happen when turning at all. The pump doesnt know which way youre turning.

More than likely its going to be a bearing. Or something caused by a bearing failure.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the bearings are loose, they can cause the noise around turns. No, they dont always groan all the time, sometimes the extra force of turning is needed to cause the bearing to groan.

It could also be something with the power steering system, I'm not too familiar with the older 3rd gens, is your truck rack/pinion or sector gearbox? With the latter, ive seen some cases where the box has bad valves and groans or grinds only when turning one direction. That cant really happen on a R&P. And it cant be the pump or it would happen when turning at all. The pump doesnt know which way youre turning.

More than likely its going to be a bearing. Or something caused by a bearing failure.

alright thats what I needed to hear. It barely makes a noise if any that I can hear in the cab, I can just really feel it through the steering wheel and gas pedal. And I know my bearings are bad, I was just hoping to get more out of them and not throw more money at the truck. And yes its a rack and pinion

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Bearings. Mine failed and just before they did I had a similar sound and feel. I got some real nice sealed bearings to replace the stock ones with through Oriely"s.

cakeboss81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the name and reference number for the right type of bearings? In case I don't know the right ones that I need to get.

2005 ram 1500 4x4 5.7 v8

Last edited: