Headlight mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it extremely aggravating how when you turn on high beams, it shuts off the low beams and the fog lights. You actually have worse lighting with high beams on because of this. On my previous truck you could give the fog light relay ignition power and they would come on whenever you wanted, including with the high beams. Has anyone done anything similar to keep lows and fogs on with high beams? Or even just the fogs would help. Keep in mind this is an 08 with the can bus system. I assume it won't be easy because of everything being computer controlled and the TIPM.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
My '02 lets the fogs stay on.
It was also a Canadian truck which had mandatory day time running lights which were disabled at some point once it made it to the U.S.
Not sure if that has anything to do with the fogs working however whenever I want or if that was a normal function for '02. It's all stock though.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I gave up on the OEM headlights shortly after purchase and added as much AUX lighting as I needed.

OP
OP
justin13703

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw online where a guy modified his multifunction lever to hold in the half way back position which will keep highs and fogs on. Not sure if I wanna try that though.

I can't stand how modern vehicles are these days. There is no reason, whatsoever, for a computer to be involved with your headlight function. Lol

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can do it with a $2 relay or with a jumper wire in the fuse box.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
While I'm a big fan of more light there is a reason the low beams and fogs shut off with the high beams. The reason they shut off with the high beams is so your eye sight is drawn farther out where the high beams light the road and not directly in front and to the side of the road where the lows and fogs light.

OP
OP
justin13703

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do it with a $2 relay or with a jumper wire in the fuse box.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My truck is a 2008. That stopped being an option after the 2005s. 2008 has no fuse box. Just that TIPM. Everything is computer controlled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justin13703

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I'm a big fan of more light there is a reason the low beams and fogs shut off with the high beams. The reason they shut off with the high beams is so your eye sight is drawn farther out where the high beams light the road and not directly in front and to the side of the road where the lows and fogs light.

I like to see what's close and far from my vehicle at the same time. The main reason the lows and fogs shut off with highs is because of all the ******* who drive around with their high beams on and never turn them off for oncoming traffic, or for the ones that like to drive with their high beams on on the highway. It basically limits the amount of light being put out.

Basically, with your high beams on, yeah you can see down the road. What you don't see is that deer camped out over in the grass waiting to ruin your night. That's where the lows and fogs come in.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Personally, I think it is more because at some point with dual filament bulbs, the lifespan probably was drastically reduced by running both at the same time. The reason I have to assume this is there is nothing illegal about bixenon HIDs, the low beam flap opens up allowing full light in both low and high beam patterns. With my HIDs in my truck and my Audi, my eyes are drawn to further down the road when the flap is open.