HID kit issue with low beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwrobson84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for a little help here. I just installed an hid conversion kit on my 2008 1500. Everything worked fine until I cranked the truck and started driving. When the engine is running the low beams will flash a few times then go out, high beams work fine. Unfortunately I don't have much info on the kit as it was given to me from a friend. The ballast are Duratec. I've tried all the trouble shooting methods I could find info on. Such as checking all connections, making sure the polarity was correct on the wiring harness and have not found the problem yet.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your issue is that exact reason why I went with Leds. The hassle with aftermarket Hids is terrible.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the same issue with my Opt7 kit. The plug that goes into your trucks stock headlight bulb socket should have 3 pins inside the plug. The 3 wires connected to the pins are a high-low-ground setup. Your problem is your trucks oem plug has the low beam and ground flipped. So you need to either pop out the low beam pin and ground pin and switch their locations on your hid kits plug, or cut the low beam wire and ground wire and switch them. Again, make sure if you do any cutting or switching pins that you do it to your hid kit so you don't alter your trucks wires or plugs.

My lows worked but highs did not, I cut and switched the high and ground wires on my kits plug and everything worked perfect after that

The thing is, dodges h13 plug could be high-low-ground but your kitsite setup could go ground-low-high, so connections are switched.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm actually having the same issue on a friend's truck.

I sold him my opt7 kit.

I have a 06, he has an 04, but his 04 has an 06 front end swap. His highs are working but his lows just flicker. We have tried everything and can not figure out the problem.

But the kit worked 100% on my 06. What gives???

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To everyone above having issues, on the 06 and up trucks, you need a special Chrysler can-bus wiring harness to install hid headlights. Without it they will flicker and turn on and off randomly and do all kinds of crazy stuff. You can get the harness from the Retro Shop. They're a vendor here.

But I also agree that these days LEDs are a much better choice than hids.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To everyone above having issues, on the 06 and up trucks, you need a special Chrysler can-bus wiring harness to install hid headlights. Without it they will flicker and turn on and off randomly and do all kinds of crazy stuff. You can get the harness from the Retro Shop. They're a vendor here.

But I also agree that these days LEDs are a much better choice than hids.

They may be a better choice (as in less issues wiring), but they do not give off a better pattern than HIDs with projectors (HIDs without projectors are garbage). Until there are LEDs specific housings (projectors for LEDs) for our trucks, I would go HIDs over LEDs.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They may be a better choice (as in less issues wiring), but they do not give off a better pattern than HIDs with projectors (HIDs without projectors are garbage). Until there are LEDs specific housings (projectors for LEDs) for our trucks, I would go HIDs over LEDs.

This really depends on the bulb manufacturer and the housings they're going into. Garbage led headlights will put out a garbage beam pattern just like cheap hids. But the higher quality led bulbs, even in a halogen or hid projector, have a perfect beam cutoff and great light output.

I installed one of the Opt7 FluxBeam led kits in a friend of mine's 06 gto with projectors. It had halogens from the factory. Those LEDs in there look like Lexus headlights, as far as light output and beam pattern/cutoff. There is not a single issue with them. So I would definitely put leds in any kind of projector, whether it was halogen, hid, or led to begin with. As long as its a high quality bulb, not an eBay special, you'll be fine.

I'm just done with hids. Too many issues even with the high end ones. Tons of wiring/harnesses, finicky as hell as far as electrical fluctuations, flickering, warm up time, bulbs/ballasts going bad, one of the other not lighting when they're turned back on after being turned off etc.