HID Radio Interference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
So a while back I ordered/installed a set of 5000K HID's for my headlights and fog lights. Worked great, and I was so excited how perfectly the installation and operation went until... Weedahoe told me to turn them on and try my radio. Needless to say, I have an ass-load of radio interference now on FM channels when I turn the HID's on. Not sure what the problem could be, but from what Ive heard/researched it could be either : Ground problem, or RF interference. I heard a bunch of people try and upgrade they're grounds with no success. Couple people said to try these to block the Rf interference :

Ferrite Core 1/4" Cord Noise Suppressor | Parts-Express.com

Well I tried 8 of them on various power and ground wires on the HID ballast kit, but nothing helped. I did notice while trying this, that with my head/fog lights on and radio going, the interference got weaker when I touched the wires. Not sure what that means... ground problem?

Now I heard to try one of these so I ordered both. Suppose to help with altenator/spark plug noise, and a couple kids said it helped with their HID problem, so I ordered them and Ill check them out next week.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...e=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=noise+filter

Also heard to try and wire the ballasts with a relay and a ground straight to the frame, instead of the plug and play harness I have right now, so I might try this later. If anyone has any input/tips/opinion please let me know. I wanna figure this out. By the way, got the 2 kits from HID extra. Im gonna call them monday and see if they have an ideas.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
wrap 'em in tin foil? :D (I am 50% kidding here)

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar issue, one day I got a new set of HIDs and they came with double sided tape so I put it between the frame and ballast and now I dont have any issues. I did that same thing to a buddies Ram that had same problem and it worked also.. give it a shot.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I had a similar issue, one day I got a new set of HIDs and they came with double sided tape so I put it between the frame and ballast and now I dont have any issues. I did that same thing to a buddies Ram that had same problem and it worked also.. give it a shot.

No **** huh! So he had the same problem and you guys just double sided tape'd them to the frame and it went away? I gotta try this! What kinda tape? Like 3M?

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep. i mounted my ballasts on the frame next to the radiator. used decent zip ties to hold em up and good to go!

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah I have my ballast stuck in the gap above the headlights with the 3M tape and never had issues ever. I bet you used those mounting things they came with didnt you?

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well my headlights ballasts are mounted above the headlight, sounds like the same place you have yours. Yeah I did use the mounts they came with, but Im not using them anymore. And I just mounted the fogs on the frame itself with 3m tape and a zip tie. But nonetheless, there's no change. Still staticy Do you have the same plug and play system from HID-Extra? Any more ideas? Im calling HID-extra tomorrow!

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup but I have the slim ballasts. I've had both but never had a problem. One thing you could try is to ground the radio directly to the frame. Lot of work though.

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How exactly would I do that? Do you mean splice into the ballast harness's and ground them to the frame? Or just the radio? Thanks for the help by the way. This is really starting to **** me off! Why is it only 1 in like 7 people have this problem?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I mean ground the radio. Find you radios ground wire and run it to a spot actually on the frame.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Does sound like a ground issue. Double check all your grounds. Straps from the body to the frame and the grounds for the ballasts. When you touch the wires and it goes away tells me something isn't grounded right.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the stock radio ground location is most likely grounded to the body, which is bolted to the frame but has those rubber things inbetween, so the ground isnt always Ideal. Do you have an aftermarkertradio trup?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ohh btw admins this is in the 4th gen section just a heads up there

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Nothing worked lol, HID Extra never returned my call. So I guess Ill put up with it untill I can buy quality ballasts. From what Ive heard/read, it's the ballasts themselves that make the interference, and only the cheap ones do it. It realy sucks!

Haven't tried checking the radio ground yet though, so that's still an option. Ill check that this weekend sometime.