How do you tell if brake rotors need replacing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
I'v got an 05 ram and my brakes need some attention, how do you tell if the brake rotors need replacing? is there any obvious signs? I checked my brake fluid its good, changed the pads, on the front..about to do the back, but am curious as to how you tell exactly when its time to replace the rotors?? thanks

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Two ways...

1. Thickness. Minimum thickness is usually stamped on the rotor, on the rear side of the rotor hat. If you have to machine a rotor and it will reduce the thickness to a measurement under the minimum thickness, toss 'em.

2. Run out. If the rotor exhibits too much runout (wobble or bending) then toss it out.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, the rotors should have a smooth surface. If the rotors have grooves, they will need to be turned down until they are smooth. Once the rotors are smooth, you will need to measure the rotor thickness and rotor runout.

The following specs are from the 2004 FSM:

Rotors.png

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check for uneven pad wear as well. If the rotors are warped you'd probably get some vibration in the pedal when breaking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My honest opinion (it isn't really required, but my personal preference), Do the job yourself, and with the added savings, change the rotors every time. They really aren't that more expensive, and you dont have to go sports performance if you aren't racing or towing near capacity.

EDIT: My reason is, I've had too many problems with warped rotors, it doesn't help the thinner the rotor (from cutting). If you aren't replacing the rotors you should at least have them cut at a machine shop/mechanic so that the new pads properly match with the rotors.

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed. Brakes are super easy to replace (especially discs) and shops charge a ton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk