How to seal the bed from water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a Truxedo cover in hopes to use the bed as a "trunk" and keeps things dry when needed (like my dad's Silverado,F150) but I realized that water rain water comes in in multiple places on the Ram. I expected a little from the tailgate and the head of the cover but realized the tie down hooks have holes behind them to the road below too. Anyone know a good way to seal these off to reduce moisture getting in? Guys with full caps have to do something right?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would think that a good RTV sealer would take care of that. Seal the drain holes at the front of the bed and also do the bed hook bolts with RTV and you should be good. For the tail gate, there are plenty of rubber weather seals that would work to seal out most of the water and dust when the gate is closed.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
do you have a bedliner? that would take care of some of the problems. otherwise with my cover i had to put a piece of waterproof felt material on the bottom edge of the bed cover where it comes in contact with my bed rails. some silicone may be your friend too. they also sell tailgate seals!

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another option is to get a spray in bedliner. Remove the hooks if you don't use them and have the liner done so that they fill all the holes in the bed. You would still need to add weather seal to the tailgate but that would be a good solution too.

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I bought the truck Rhino lined so was just curious if there was some kind of aftermarket plug or something. Just never seen this on a bed before. My dad's Silverado with Truxedo never gets a drop in the bed. I'll get creative and play around with it when this endless winter finally gives in.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
id highly recommend the tailgate seal along with felt on the bottom sides of the bed cover. best of luck man :favorites13:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My tonneau cover does cover my bed and I see very little water in. Hardest part was putting things inside it and preventing stuff sliding around. I placed a 2x6 back there right before the wheel wells and it's doing a good job. I was thinking of getting one of those bed extender instead of ply wood.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4

*Bilstein 2.8" front
*Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer
*Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit
*Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers
*Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4)
*fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats
*2-12" alpine subs (swe -1243l
*500 watt alpine mono sub
*LED 3rd tail light smoked
*Spyder LED smokes tail lights
havent even started on the engine..lol

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still haven't found anything to keep water out but it really hasn't bothered me that much. However... I'm about to haul a bunch of dirt this spring for landscaping and I'm worried that it's just going to spill out where those holes are by the bed hooks. I still can't understand this design! Anyone haul dirt/mulch/stone with problems??? THanks!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
that material will tend to "bridge" in he openings your worried about. you won't have an issue.

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll give it a go and see. Since it's only $18 to fill my bed with topsoil I guess even losing a little won't cost much ;-)