I need a good black exterior spary paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In early august I will have had my Ram for 2 years. The truck is basically flawless with only 7600 miles on her. The only exception is the underside of the truck. The road salt from our wonderful Illinois winters has taken it's toll. Everything has a light/spooty surface rust. My main area's that I would like to address are the hitch and the rear axle. I just changed my diff cover last weekend to a PML, and noticed that I need to do something to spruce her up. Can anyone recommend a good gloss black exterior paint that will hold up. Like I said, the rust is extremely light and in most cases a soapy rag makes a big improvement. I was just thinking of a light sand job then hit it with the rattle can. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
I would use a flat black to be honest that way it matches what is there and gloss just looks like you went under and sprayed it but that's up to you and I would use a rustoleum can they seem to have good rust inhibitors in there or you could look into some thickr under coating made for the underneath of the truck...sp

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
dont forget the primer

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
man......I thought I didn't drive much!

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i used vht epoxy paint on mine. scuff with a red scotch brite, wash, dry and spray away. i used about 5 cans to do the entire underside but it was kinda windy out...
damn, it looks good!

08QuadRam

Reaction score
You should use rustoloeum paint. I use semi-flat paint. This is the closest I've found to 'stock'. Makes your truck underneath look amazing.

Attachments

• driveshaft.jpg
    driveshaft.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 33

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
i use krylon bbq paint. self leveling, stands up to 1500*F so it can paint anything surrounded by the exhaust

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
having a company truck is a nice perk. The Ram usually only leaves the garage on weekends.

tell me about it ..lol love the company gas here also

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i used vht epoxy paint on mine. scuff with a red scotch brite, wash, dry and spray away. i used about 5 cans to do the entire underside but it was kinda windy out...
damn, it looks good!

This is what I use and it looks fantastic!

framepaint.jpg

shackle1.jpg