LED Lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have LED strips that I would like to put on the outside of my truck, around my running boards. I am wanting it tap into the dome light so that they will come on when I unlock the door and dim out once the dome light "dims down". I know that there is a wire some where or possibly a fuse to tap in to, but I am not quite sure on where it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I have a 2005 Ram 1500.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
The fuse box is near the battery on most Dodge trucks. Now I am unsure if the dome light has its own fuse or not. I personally have not had to change a single fuse at all.
There is another way to do what you want if you feel froggy. Trace down the wires coming from the dome light. Mine went to the drivers side. Use a multimeter to find out which is the negative and which is the positive so you can correctly connect the led lights. Not real sure if the LeD's will dim though. Most of them will go out once their minimum voltage is reached. Cool idea though. Post a pic when you get it done.

Ramhergood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did this on my 08 Ram with redram2007's help

The wire you need is in the drivers side a pillar. You have to completely remove the pillar and it is wrapped in black tape at the top near the headliner.Its a blue and yellow wire.

I did led's under dash and under back seats and they do dim out. I will be adding some under the truck as well.

OP
OP
allenw88

allenw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK. It's been awhile and CRAZY weather here in Colorado. On top of me being sick as CRAP.
Regardless, I went out and removed the A pillar. Found the wire and spliced in to it. Ran the wire all the way down and under the truck (through the driver side floor board). Tested everything out and it does work. Looks like it could be a great deal. I will post pics when it gets a little bit darker here in Colorado so it can be seen on how well it turns out. I have only done the drivers side so far. I am gonna finish up the passenger side tomorrow more than likely.

OP
OP
allenw88

allenw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lights installed. I will run the wire over to the passenger side tomorrow and possibly post another pic. Love the addition.

Attachments

• IMG_20131012_184808_698.jpg
    IMG_20131012_184808_698.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 45