Legality of LED bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand that the double row LED bars everyone is putting in the bumper or on top of the truck are too bright to run at all times, but where is the cut-off line? Would a single row in the bumper be legal? How about amber colored LED bars?

I have an 09 Ram Laramie and the front bumper slot is only large enough for a single row (maybe). I know people have led fog lights and headlights, so I am not sure what is legal.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In most states they are noted as "For Off Road Use Only" so if you turn one or two or a half dozen of them on while traversing the local roads, you are probably violating some local ordinance or law.

Have you checked the regs in your area? What do they say?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none of them are legal for on road use. if they dont have DOT on them, they aren't legal. Not one of them currently has this the DOT rating. some states make you run a cover on them while on the roads so you cant use them.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah they are basically only good for dark back roads when nobody is coming the other direction. Stick to upgraded headlights for full time use. But light bar+hid projector brights+dark backroads=brighter then the daytime haha

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From what I've come to understand (again totally depends on your local laws as well) any marker style lights are good to go as long as they are amber. Anything that looks "out of the norm" (when on, unless your area requires auxiliary lighting to be covered) will surely grab the attention of your local enforcers.

Headlights are designed for a specific task, to best illuminate the road while not blinding others and causing accidents. My lightbar? It's an aesthetic thing and nice for those times when I'm on a dark road and there isn't another car in sight.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Standing on a soap box:

If anybody has a led bar, you need to smoke e-cigs and have 24 inch deep dish rims with low profile mud tires. Also you need to have a large orange parking cone in the bed of the truck, train horns, and truck nuts.

Off soap box.

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Standing on a soap box:

If anybody has a led bar, you need to smoke e-cigs and have 24 inch deep dish rims with low profile mud tires. Also you need to have a large orange parking cone in the bed of the truck, train horns, and truck nuts.

Off soap box.

Lol.

Wrong

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had light bars on a few vehicles that dont fit the description above but were useful on the off-road runs I did even if it's not dark they are great to use as dust lights in poor visibility situations not to mention the added illumination on dark back roads especially when there are lots of deer around.

They serve a purpose other than looking cool. Although looking cool is always a bonus lol

Last edited:

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Lol. Just way too many street queens around here. Don't get it twisted. I like the LED light bars....just on vehicles that can use them.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is one brand that I can find that IS DOT/SAE compliant (only if installed and aimed to meet your stated requirements - MN is a 2.5" drop from center of light at 25 feet). I have a pair of amber 10" bars on my bull bar and run them in the fog, rain and snow - they are aimed properly. I've been stopped by 1 cop, he had a tape measure in hand and checked they were aimed properly; once he verified they were, we shook hands and he sent my on my way.

PIAA | RF Series LED Light Bars

And looking at their prices today compared to 18 months ago, the prices have gone up...

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Definitely NOT street legal. Just don't turn them on when on the streets!

Do they work, hell yea!! ;) This is my $40 LED light bar from Amazon:

Lightbar off.JPG

Lightbar ON.JPG