Line-x bumpers and rockers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am looking to get my front & rear bumper and rocker panels on my truck color matched line-x'd, so I got a quote from a shop and this is what they told me. (I have the Sport ram so my front bumper is painted plastic, no chrome)

900 - Rocker Panels
350 - Per bumper x2
200 - Color match

Does this seem too high? Or about right for all the prep. My front bumper the clear coat is peeling bad from a horrible auto body job that was done before I owned the truck. And the rockers have a ton of rock chips.

Also on another side note I phoned another Line-x shop and the girl said they can't Line-X plastic (like my bumper) because it melts/eats the plastic and won't stick properly, has anyone else heard of this? Why would one shop say they can do it and another say no?

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
is that canadian money.lol but im going to be doing the same soon so im curiousy to the prices as well.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ya thats high ..I do all that at my shop for 1k

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dave do you do line x brand or something else? Just wondering.

$miley

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I can , but I like hurculiner the best . It has never done me wrong and never done my customers wrong . Its all the same stuff just a different name .

OP
OP
DohCanadian

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah sorry that's all CDN.

But I won't get it much cheaper anywhere else. That was in Grande Prairie, Alberta. And another shop I phoned in Saskatchewan was the same price.

Unfortunately that'll probably be what I end up paying, I chose Line-X over Rhino Lining and everything else because of the good reviews too.

OP
OP
DohCanadian

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems about like what I was quoted from a local shop.

Yeah, I mean it does seem a little high but I figured there is gonna be a ton of sanding and masking the truck off so it does seem in the normal price range.

I was just more curious about line-x on plastic, I mean I know alot of people coat plastic flares and stuff, I just don't know why the shop would say that.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just more curious about line-x on plastic, I mean I know alot of people coat plastic flares and stuff, I just don't know why the shop would say that.

I didn't even read that part. Line-X and some other liners are a 2 part epoxy style, that cure by chemical reaction. The reaction might cause too much heat for some plastics to withstand. The shop I use has 2 different styles of bedliner (High and Low pressure) so he can do pretty much anything.

He said the vasty majority of his costs are in prep time.

C-Mack

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Engine
Wow, i was thinking about doing this the other day to my all my chrome. I'm either going to plasti-dip my bumpers/handles and side mirrors. I figured color matching and line-xing everything thats chrome would be cheaper then buying color matched everything. Unless someone from ontario is willing to trade straight up chrome bumpers and side mirrors for a set of mineral grey bumpers and side mirrors. lol

hemihank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you could alternatively spend $300 and buy the herculiner or monstaliner yourself and spend the weekend prepping and painting. Save yourself $1000 bucks.... depends on how much cash you have and how much time you would be willing to put into the prep. I've seen a lot of guys who did it themselves with good results. Got to be diligent about the prep though.

Redneck Ryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For my bed and bumpers it was less than 1K and my bumpers had plastic on them as well.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I like the look of the "grain" of line-x over the other brands. I think it's a cleaner look. JMO of course.

Chris

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
LINE-X is not like epoxy at all. The chemical reaction is not the same either. While LINE-X is applied hot, the heat does not affect plastics.

LINE-X works fine with some plastics like ABS. However, some plastics are very difficult to gain adhesion to such as polypropylene plastic. It's difficult for ANY coating to gain adhesion to polypropylene. As a rule of thumb, plastics should be encapsulated if possible.

LINE-X is WAY stronger and WAY more durable than both Herculiner and Monsta. Honestly, you're not really even talking apples to apples. Herculiner has rubber bits in it which does not help the looks. Monsta does not have rubber bits which is much better. Herculiner is not UV stable, so you have to paint it. Monsta is UV stable and will hold its color longer.

LINE-X white color match (UV stable) on the rockers. You have to look hard to even see it!
WhiteRockers1.jpg

LINE-X gray color match on rockers. Also UV stable.
grayrockers2.jpg

Black LINE-X Premium on rockers and fender flares. No fading or loss of gloss.
Rock2.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, what white hides awesome! Now I really wanna get my rockers done...

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
Sorry for the bump on this but I felt the need to compliment the nice trucks and their line-x'd rockers.

I am thinking about doing this shortly. What kind of prep is required to line-x? I reckon by the sounds of it, it isn't just clean and spray on.

Also, Line-x on your rockers doesn't promote premature corrosion or anything of that nature?

Cheers!

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
The surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed. The goal of scuffing is not to remove the paint, but to create a rough surface. The bedliner cannot grab onto something that's as smooth as glass.

It does not create premature corrosion, as a matter of fact, the protective coating prevents corrosion on the surface it's applied to.