Looking for opinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am thinking about plastidipping my wheels because I am not digging the grey. Thinking about doing them gloss black with a yellow rim(if I can pull that off!) and possible yellow center caps. What do y'all think?

P.S. if anybody is better than I am with Photoshop feel free to edit the pic. Thanks! [emoji2] lol

644b511ab429d725df7f1715babddd1f.jpg

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Nice truck! Please don't plasti dip, get them powder coated, you'll get a better end result.

Sent From 1 of Many Devices

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the compliment. I was thinking about doing the plasti dip just to see if I like the look. Also I don't think the other half is gonna let me spend the cash for powdercoat right now. She didn't want me to buy the truck in the first place because she said it was to expensive! Lol

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plasti dipped my rims have not 5 coats and still started to peel off. After a few car washes. Better off just spray painting the rims. They are plastic chrome anyways. When they were dipped 3554754b0064ac33b9a8f396271318b2.jpg

2af5511d421c09ccac69f4384b7d328e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I personally hate plastic dip or what ever you call it, cheap product equals cheap results/looks. Oh my opinion and you asked so there you go lol

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I personally hate plastic dip or what ever you call it, cheap product equals cheap results/looks. Oh my opinion and you asked so there you go lol

I bought 20 cans planning to do various things and a set of wheels on an Optima and 2 coats in I said "this look's like ****"... I still have 19 cans left, can't get rid of em', I guess I could go down to the local ricer meet and they'll take em', idk.

To the OP, if she's making you pinch pennies then you better stay off the forum (we'd love to have you here though), but getting your wheels blacked out will probably be the least of your mods and it'll get worse from there.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plasti dipped my rims have not 5 coats and still started to peel off. After a few car washes. Better off just spray painting the rims. They are plastic chrome anyways.

His wheels aren't plastic chrome.

The most permanent way to do it without getting them powder coated will be to paint them. I painted my wheels on my last truck and after 3 years they didn't have as much as a chip in them. And everybody swore they were powder coated. I cleaned the wheels really good, sanded them with some relatively fine sandpaper. 2 coats of primer, 3 or 4 coats of gloss black rust oleum, 2 coats of clear, sand again lightly with some very fine sandpaper, and another coat or 2 of clear. It will take probably a whole day to do it right, and then I let them sit for another day to dry. But if it's done like this they will look good.

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought 20 cans planning to do various things and a set of wheels on an Optima and 2 coats in I said "this look's like ****"... I still have 19 cans left, can't get rid of em', I guess I could go down to the local ricer meet and they'll take em', idk.

To the OP, if she's making you pinch pennies then you better stay off the forum (we'd love to have you here though), but getting your wheels blacked out will probably be the least of your mods and it'll get worse from there.
Lol this isn't my first time around the block with the mod bug! Lol I was constantly doing things to my last ram, but that was before she and I met. I already want to level this one, dual exhaust, spray in bed liner, and add some driving lights. She just doesn't know any of that! Lol she is slowly warming up to the truck. I let her drive it a couple times and she doesn't hate it any more.

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His wheels aren't plastic chrome.

The most permanent way to do it without getting them powder coated will be to paint them. I painted my wheels on my last truck and after 3 years they didn't have as much as a chip in them. And everybody swore they were powder coated. I cleaned the wheels really good, sanded them with some relatively fine sandpaper. 2 coats of primer, 3 or 4 coats of gloss black rust oleum, 2 coats of clear, sand again lightly with some very fine sandpaper, and another coat or 2 of clear. It will take probably a whole day to do it right, and then I let them sit for another day to dry. But if it's done like this they will look good.
Some rims*20inch*rims*are just aluminum these*rims*don't have the shine, the other option is the chrome*rims*these are still aluminum with a plastic chrome*cover on them. This has been like this from 03 an up.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some rims*20inch*rims*are just aluminum these*rims*don't have the shine, the other option is the chrome*rims*these are still aluminum with a plastic chrome*cover on them. This has been like this from 03 an up.

Yeah I know some are the chrome covers. My factory wheels had the chrome covers. I'm saying that the truck in the original post does not have the chrome covers

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, mine are just the aluminum rims. They would probably look good on a different truck but Im not feeling them on big bird.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't live near Augusta GA do ya? I'll swap ya for my 17" OEM chrome clads :D And while we're at it, we can swap tail lights if you'd rather have the '06 flat style vs your space ship ones

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't live near Augusta GA do ya? I'll swap ya for my 17" OEM chrome clads :D And while we're at it, we can swap tail lights if you'd rather have the '06 flat style vs your space ship ones
Unfortunately I'm in NC. And I actually like the space ship tails. I didn't when they first came out but they have grown on me! Lol

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang.. I love them. It's a shame too, I was supposed to be in Raleigh this past weekend, but we decided not to go. It's not a deal you're interested in are you? I could possibly make it happen if you were haha.

OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure I want to go from 20"s to 17"s but shoot me a pic. I may think about it!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a pic of my truck. They're in good shape. No rust, the center caps have very minimal scratching around the lug nut areas due to sloppy people working on them. Currently have 265/70R17s on there with 5/32s in the front and 7/32nds in the rear

Attachments

• my truck.jpg
    my truck.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
southernbnb

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the offer bud but I'll have to pass.