Nerf bars / running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftauss

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just acquired a '03 SLT 5.7 Hemi Quad and boy and I am a happy man. This is not my primary vehicle, though it has been since I bought it, and I want to do it up right for myself.

First I need nerf bars for all the short legged people in the family, wife, daughter, me. Truck is silver with black trim, so I'm thinking black. However I have no idea what is a good brand. The prices range pretty widely and they all claim to be "bolt on".

So if you could hand out some advice, I'd appreciate it. 3", 4" bigger? Brand, things to look out for.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Check out several before making a decision. The only true bolt on ones are the ones straight from MOPAR. When looking at aftermarket ones always check the description and see if they need a separate installation kit. Most will. Here is a link to Autoanything. I believe they have the best selection of what you are looking for: Running Boards & Nerf Bars - SUV and Truck Side Steps | AutoAnything

Code106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a set of 3" westin bars on my truck when i bought it, and they were only made out of regular steel, and they rusted in no time. (i live in NY, and get lots of snow and ice, and salt on the roads makes everything rust) i even took them off, sandblasted them, painted them and then put herculiner on them (which is junk, don't ever put that stuff on anything, but that's from my experience.) and even still they just continued to rust from the inside out. so i finally just bought a set from Summitracing.com, and they are black coated stainless steel. they came with all the mounting brackets and everything.

bottom line is i would at least look for ones that are stainless steel. and also spend the extra $ and go to your local hardware store and buy some stainless steel bolts also.