New advice on rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mud demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put a new 5 inch zone lift on and some 35 nitto trail grapplers and they rub pretty bad. My mechanic told me I should get spacers to stop the rub or get new rims with better back spacing what should I do? I am also low on cash haha.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
what wheels do you have now? Do you know the backspacing on them? how wide are your tires?

OP
OP
M

Mud demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 35/12.5r18 nitto trail grapplers don't really know make of my rims or back spacing. I literally know squat about rims. All I know is I need 4.5 back spacing got no rub and I have rub now

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
get new rims with a negative offset and they will never rub the knuckle. if you get spacers then id go with about an inch and a half to be safe. if your offset is positive then i would get new rims period. you generally want to look for rims with no offset with a wide rim possibly with a spacer or a negative offset and a wide rims without spacers

postings a pic in the thread will help us determine the specs. if they are newer rims then we can search them and run the specs to tell you what you need in terms of a spacer if thats the way you want to go

Last edited:

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
if you want to go with new rims and like the look of 18s stick with 18s... tires are cheaper than 20s

Last edited:

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you could, take one wheel off. Normally the wheel specs are stamped on the back side. Can you post some pics so we can see how bad it is ad what you're working with.

OP
OP
M

Mud demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll post them tomorrow when I get my truck back. I'm probably going to just get new rims I've heard spacers are not that safe.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I'll post them tomorrow when I get my truck back. I'm probably going to just get new rims I've heard spacers are not that safe.

Spacers are safe as long as they are not too big, and installed properly.

:drunk:

OP
OP
M

Mud demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I got with new rims should I get aluminum or steel? I offroad her about once a month

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
it depends on the tire and the size of rims... 40 inch tires on 18 inch wheels probably will be fine in aluminum for once a month but if you have 20s with 35 inch tires maybe steel