No brake lights 07 Ram 5.7 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mparsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, need help! Just bought a truck and found out the brake lights do not work. The 3rd brake light doesn't work as well. The turn signals work, running lights work, everything else seems good. I changed the bulbs, replaced the fuses, and replaced the brake switch. Anything else I can try? Thanks in advance.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
TIPM. That is the next and most expensive step. Take it to a shop that can diagnose this problem. They will have to connect it to a computer to see if it is the TIPM or not.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have you tried replacing the part where the bulbs plug into.. Mine recently did this and it was the prongs that corrode and spread apart.. they won't make a connection.. they are like 25 bucks at the dealership but I ended up getting LED tail lights so I wouldn't have to mess with them anymore

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Have you tried replacing the part where the bulbs plug into.. Mine recently did this and it was the prongs that corrode and spread apart.. they won't make a connection.. they are like 25 bucks at the dealership but I ended up getting LED tail lights so I wouldn't have to mess with them anymore

I feel like a fool for not thinking of that sooner.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I feel like a fool for not thinking of that sooner.

Haha. Normally a quick and easy fix. I think the part is like 25 bucks at the stealership. I just said screw it and bought the led tails. Some get lucky an can just clean up the contacts and put bulb grease on them.

OP
OP
M

mparsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont have any power at the brake lights but i do at the trailer harness. I am going to attempt to splice the two wires together and see if the brake lights start working. I will update tonight after I get this done..

OP
OP
M

mparsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good news! Took a trailer wire harness with the 4 wire outlet and hooked it up into the existing connector on the back of the track. I ran the yellow wire to the white and green wire on the drivers side brake light. And I ran the green wire to the white and yellow brake wire on the passenger side. You have to take the two screws out to get to the harness and peel the plastic tubing and electrical tape back to access the wires. I just used quick splice adapters to splice them together. The other two wires on the harness can just be cut off or *******. Check your connections and then plug the harness in and test the brakes. When done just put the lenses back on and use zip ties to tie up any hanging wires! The only problem I have incurred doing it this way was when I apply my turn signals, the indicator in the cab blinks fast as if the bulbs are bad but everything functions fine so I can live with that. Sure beats putting in a $800 Tipm! Not saying this will fix everyone's truck, but all you need to do is get a 4pin light tester which are about $5 and a 4pin trailer wiring kit which is about $15.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Good news! Took a trailer wire harness with the 4 wire outlet and hooked it up into the existing connector on the back of the track. I ran the yellow wire to the white and green wire on the drivers side brake light. And I ran the green wire to the white and yellow brake wire on the passenger side. You have to take the two screws out to get to the harness and peel the plastic tubing and electrical tape back to access the wires. I just used quick splice adapters to splice them together. The other two wires on the harness can just be cut off or *******. Check your connections and then plug the harness in and test the brakes. When done just put the lenses back on and use zip ties to tie up any hanging wires! The only problem I have incurred doing it this way was when I apply my turn signals, the indicator in the cab blinks fast as if the bulbs are bad but everything functions fine so I can live with that. Sure beats putting in a $800 Tipm! Not saying this will fix everyone's truck, but all you need to do is get a 4pin light tester which are about $5 and a 4pin trailer wiring kit which is about $15.

With all the work you just explained here ^.. that tells me that the board where the bulbs plug into was bad.. All you had to really do is go buy that new board from the stealership or maybe even rockauto. Each board is only like $25 for each side