opinions on shocks please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drave199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9L
i have a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 5.9L

trying to get your opinions on shocks. i believe i have a shock going bad. they are shocks i had installed at les schwab, not sure what brand they are, not name brand though but they did alright. anyway, looking for a decent shock that will be about 75% street and 25% off road. really dont want to spend a TON of money but 40-70 a piece maybe?

i want it to perform well on the street but still want a good ride on the dirt as well. one of the ranchos i heard was really stiff for off road use but hoping some can give me more advice.

thanks!

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I run Bilstein 5100s on my truck so that I got a level out of it as well. Doesn't seem to work on a 02 1500 though.

They have the Bilstein Heavy Duty for the front of your truck just not the rear. No comment on the ranchos and Bilsteins are all I have used so far.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on a quality shock.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I know a lot of people on the forum run Bilsten 5100's but I have ProComp ES9000's and they ride like a dream.

OP
OP
D

drave199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9L
I run Bilstein 5100s on my truck so that I got a level out of it as well. Doesn't seem to work on a 02 1500 though.

They have the Bilstein Heavy Duty for the front of your truck just not the rear. No comment on the ranchos and Bilsteins are all I have used so far.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on a quality shock.

i wish the 5100s fit cause i would get them. i dont want to level my truck cause i heard it puts stress on the torsion set up and a stiffer ride. might as well just raise my torsion bars.

OP
OP
D

drave199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9L
I know a lot of people on the forum run Bilsten 5100's but I have ProComp ES9000's and they ride like a dream.

Really? i would love to know more! i can get a set of those for $175 from 4 wheel parts.

i noticed the offered different extended lengths, i wonder if i can get a longer one for the front to level it out haha

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Maybe on the old trucks it did that?

When I leveled my truck, it felt like a massive change even though it was (I believe) 1.8" in height since I looking farther out then before the level.
My truck rides like a truck, it's still very comfortable ride but it's kind of an odd thing. I drive over the smallest pothole and it seems to just shake the truck.

However, I can drive over train tracks at 30 mph and it's like riding on a cloud, don't feel a single thing.

Good luck on your search though, maybe dodge dude94 would be better at answering this question.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
I have the Rancho quick lift struts. They ride nice to me. Feel fine at high speeds on The highway and fine bumping around off-road. Definately stiffer than stock. The stock ride was much too bouncy for my taste. But I'm in 2012.

You could check rough country or bds for normal height shocks. I dont think the rough countries are super expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe on the old trucks it did that?

When I leveled my truck, it felt like a massive change even though it was (I believe) 1.8" in height since I looking farther out then before the level.
My truck rides like a truck, it's still very comfortable ride but it's kind of an odd thing. I drive over the smallest pothole and it seems to just shake the truck.

However, I can drive over train tracks at 30 mph and it's like riding on a cloud, don't feel a single thing.

Good luck on your search though, maybe dodge dude94 would be better at answering this question.

I see you mentioning my name. What'd I do to you? :D :Moon:

Anyway, I do definitely have an opinion. For a street driven truck, I would look at the Monroe line. My dad's 02 1500 4.7 has Gas-Magnums on it front and rear and they ride GREAT. Not too stiff, not too soft. Just stiff enough to firm up the handling and respond a bit. Got a 1/4 in of ground clearance over the old 120k mi old shocks too.

*edit* ****, I just realized I cracked 5000 posts. :uhoh2:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6

Anyway, I do definitely have an opinion. For a street driven truck, I would look at the Monroe line. My dad's 02 1500 4.7 has Gas-Magnums on it front and rear and they ride GREAT. Not too stiff, not too soft. Just stiff enough to firm up the handling and respond a bit. Got a 1/4 in of ground clearance over the old 120k mi old shocks too.

Yeah, figured anyone that would know something about the old and rusty bits would be you.

I mean, anyone knowing about 02's would be you, yeah that's it. :emotions36:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, figured anyone that would know something about the old and rusty bits would be you.

I mean, anyone knowing about 02's would be you, yeah that's it. :emotions36:

Rusty bits? You act as if the truck is 20 years old! :D I can't help it I have 3 generations of Dodge trucks at my house! :D

:893karatesmiley-thu

OP
OP
D

drave199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9L

will these be good for some off road use as well you think?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01