Ordered LED strips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I ordered 5 of the cheap LED strips from eBay. I want to put a few in the bed on a switch to use as a kind of cargo light. I think I am also going to put one or two on a different switch in the toolbox. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about one time and almost had it done before the stupid relays made me mad, I had wired it up to the cargo light, in the third brake light, so when I unlocked my truck or turned on the cargo light all the bed lights and the toolbox lights would come one. but sadly, I got too fed up with it at the time

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
there has been many who have, i wish i could but i haul 2 much stuff in my bed and i think it would get messed up or stolen eventually

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I intend to put the strips up under the rails hopefully so they won't even be seen. I want the switched so I can turn them on and off when I want. I also would like to wire them to a constant so I can turn them on without the truck running. But I am a little afraid of it draining my battery.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I put some in my dads and have a bunch waiting to be put in my girlfriends truck
They both use their beds and haul often as well
For my dads 11 big horn i just taped into the 12v acces. on the 7 pin hitch plug, quick spliced a mini blade fuse holder in and ran it up through the stake post to a waterproof switch in his bedliner (found here: 12VDC ON/OFF Switches Specifications) The sitch is very low profile and seems pretty durable
From the switch I ran 4 10" cheap ebay strips in parrallel and double sided taped them to the side of the bed
046a6172.jpg
3d1497ab.jpg
aed8725b.jpg

I thought about taping into the cargo lights but this way seems the simplest and most convenient
Pretty much the same plan for my girlfriends truck only I have 2-2ft strips for the bed rails and a 4ft strip for inside the lid of the toolbox

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
O and I wouldnt worry to much about draining the battery
I tested them with a multimeter and the 4ft strip pulled 0.1 mA

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I've left my halos on for hours before on accident. LEDs draw such little power there's not much of a worry. the bed rail lights are a good idea and I can't wait to do it.

rennaissanceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really should get around to getting one in my toolbox. I wouldn't be worried about the battery, I used more battery by having the door open when I was wiring my switches in than the led strips use.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is exactly what I want to do! Thank you for the pictures.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The funny part is the switch cost almost as much as the lights and the wire and fuse holder about tripled the price haha
Switch-$4.95
Lights-$6.00 for all 4
40ft 16g wire(overkill)--$8.00
Fuse holder with 5 amp fuse-$3.50
plus what ever a pack of quick splice cost lol

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
that was about right wehen i did mine behind the grille and at the bottom of the door.

and i have left my grille led strips(18 inch strips) on overnight before and went out and the truck started up no problem so i wouldnt be worried about the draining of ther battery. mine was probably on for 10 hours