Please help with my electronic shopping list for LED Bars & Light Pods!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so I ordered a 32" LED bar and 4 4" led pods. I also have 4 led strips in my bed already wired up.

I want to wire this up THE RIGHT WAY. I'm trying to get everything ordered so I have EVERYTHING and I don't have any surprises during the install.

The Lights I Ordered - :

32" 180W LED Light Bar - (Mounting In between Tow Hooks)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FJKTT5C/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(4) 4" 18W LED Pods - (2 In Fog Light Holes/2 Behind Grille) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FWD83RW/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(4) 8" Pilot Automotive 10,000K COB LED Strips (These are already installed in my bed, just looking to run them to the Fuse Block instead of directly to the Battery)
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1318575/00111

Wiring/Hardware That I Ordered -

• Full 40AMP Wiring Harness For 32" LED BAR
(Comes with Relay, Inline Fuse, Rocker Switch etc) -https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PTQOF4W/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full 40AMP Wiring Harness For 2 LED Pods (Comes with Relay, Inline Fuse, Rocker Switch, etc) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QYIZ890/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Full 40AMP Wiring Harness For 2 LED Pods w/o Rocker Switch (Comes with Relay, Inline Fuse etc) -https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SYCR8HY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A15H3UKRB6RHF9&psc=1

LED Fog Lights Rocker Switch (for 2nd set of LED Pods) (Blue) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012WH6QV0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A15H3UKRB6RHF9&psc=1

6 Circuit Fuse Block (Comes with Cover) -https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GV78UP2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A15H3UKRB6RHF9&psc=1

Rigid Industries 02-08 LED Pod Fog Light Brackets - http://m.ebay.com/itm/02-08-Dodge-Ram-Fog-Light-Brackets-LED-Rigid-Baja-Designs-2002-2008-/192037741619?txnId=1335825041009

Now, one of my first questions is, Should I order this aswell? - 150amp Manual Reset Circuit Breaker - Should I order this circuit breaker? If so, is 150amp the correct one? Or should I order the 100amp or 200amp?

My next question is, is this list everything I should need to hook this all up? If I need anything else, please let me know.

P.S. I know pretty much everything about wiring stuff. How to solder, in line fuses etc. BUT, I dont know the order in which to hook up the fuse block and circuit breaker. Does the power and ground from the switch (that normally runs to battery) go to the fuse block first? Or the circuit breaker? I'm trying to figure out the order, and if it's switch -> fuse block -> circuit breaker-> battery. Or if its different, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help, like i said I'm new to installing fuse blocks and circuit breakers.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have about 30 amps worth of lights there. A 150 amp breaker will be way overkill. You could use a 40 amp fused supply to your distribution block to run all of that.

But yes basically your switches will run to the fuse block which will be fed by a breaker (personally I would just use 10 or 8 gauge wire with an inline 40 amp fuse instead of a breaker) and that will be fed from the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You have about 30 amps worth of lights there. A 150 amp breaker will be way overkill. You could use a 40 amp fused supply to your distribution block to run all of that.

So run a 40amp Inline Fuse on the wire running from the distribution block to the + of the battery?

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

But yes basically your switches will run to the fuse block which will be fed by a breaker (personally I would just use 10 or 8 gauge wire with an inline 40 amp fuse instead of a breaker) and that will be fed from the battery.

So the power goes Lights -> Switches -> Relays -> Distribution Block-> 40AMP Inline Fuse-> Battery

Or does the power go to the Relays before the Switches?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the power goes Lights -> Switches -> Relays -> Distribution Block-> 40AMP Inline Fuse-> Battery

Or does the power go to the Relays before the Switches?

Yes. Just feed the dist block with a 40 amp fused line from the battery. And then the easiest way to picture it, in the picture of the wiring diagrams in the harnesses you linked, replace the "battery +" with the distribution block. Because instead of going to the battery you will be going to a distribution block. All the negatives can just go to any good ground.

I would also fuse each individual circuit with a fuse closer to the rating of the lights. For example, the harness for your 32" light has a 40 amp fuse in it. That light is 180 watts, so at 12 volts it is drawing 15 amps. So I would use a 20 amp fuse.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes. Just feed the dist block with a 40 amp fused line from the battery. And then the easiest way to picture it, in the picture of the wiring diagrams in the harnesses you linked, replace the "battery +" with the distribution block. Because instead of going to the battery you will be going to a distribution block. All the negatives can just go to any good ground.

I would also fuse each individual circuit with a fuse closer to the rating of the lights. For example, the harness for your 32" light has a 40 amp fuse in it. That light is 180 watts, so at 12 volts it is drawing 15 amps. So I would use a 20 amp fuse.
Awesome. Thanks man. I will be sure to check the fuses once they get here and if I need to put in different fuses that's no issue.

Can't wait to hook this all up. I know I can't run all these on roads with traffic, but the led pods in the fogs should be aimed properly so I can use them. As for the Bar and 2 Pods behind the grille, I'll be using them in the snow/rain/fog when there are no other cars on the road.

I'll be sure to post pics once I'm done. Just for the hell of it, here's a front end picture of my truck.

ee019a4796727eb64d7c1fe1466184d5.jpg

f0649d668c03e3dbc55bbc3adbe10b96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it should look nice.

You probably won't want to use them all in the fog though. The more light you have, the less you can see in the fog. A lot of people like to drive around in fog with their high beams on wondering why they can't see lol. You can see more in the fog with just parking lights on than with high beams on.

Also, now that I look at the distribution block, I see that you can install individual fuses there for each circuit. So theoretically you can do away with the inline fuses that come in the harnesses and just correctly fuse the circuit at the dist block. Or you can leave the second fuse in there if you want. Either way will work fine. I like to keep points of failure down, so personally I would get rid of the harness fuse holder and just use the one in the block, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah it should look nice.

You probably won't want to use them all in the fog though. The more light you have, the less you can see in the fog. A lot of people like to drive around in fog with their high beams on wondering why they can't see lol. You can see more in the fog with just parking lights on than with high beams on.
Yea that is true lol...

Sent from he'll via TapATalk

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Also, now that I look at the distribution block, I see that you can install individual fuses there for each circuit. So theoretically you can do away with the inline fuses that come in the harnesses and just correctly fuse the circuit at the dist block. Or you can leave the second fuse in there if you want. Either way will work fine. I like to keep points of failure down, so personally I would get rid of the harness fuse holder and just use the one in the block, but it's up to you.

I was gonna ask about that. I'll be sure to remove the inline fuse from the harness.

Thanks for all your help man, you answered alot of my questions. Thanks again.

Sent from he'll via TapATalk