Pocket Flares....what finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they should be painted to match. IMO you might as well paint the bolts black, and the center of the rim and get black lug nuts.

In any case, it'll look great. If you are talking about keeping the fender flare from rubbing the paint on the side of your truck-it's probably not gonna happen. On my last truck I had my flares on for a month or so and when I took them off to do something (I was putting them back on) and the paint was already scratched to ****. They included some type of rubber 'c' channel for the edge but it did not help. (Mine where the Prestige (ebay) brand, but where very nice)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
only way to go is color matched !!!!

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
im a girl then ... hell ya im going straight for my **** then !

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Painting flares is like wearing lipstick and combat boots. lol

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im also thinking of running some vinyl underneath them to prevent scuffing. Any tips on installation, ways to prevent the paint rubbing, etc?

Some of that 3M double sided gray tape is what I used on mine where they overlap the outside the body. It keeps them in place so they don't move around and rub on the body (that's what she said). :naughty:

OP
OP
M

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmm the 3m tape might be a good idea. Im just waiting on the flare now. He shipped em out saturday so they should be in any day now

OP
OP
M

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
got em. put them on just to see how i liked the unpainted finish and its not bad, but the things are not as described. They were NIB and turns out he put the weather strip and drilled the holes. The weather strip has kinda came off in places, the holes are off by a bit, and the things are scuffed to heck

I will have to paint them so the scuffs dont matter. I think im going to do the 3m thing to prevent the scratching. I will toy with the fit later as they have some gaps from install
3fe4033b.jpg
d0554070.jpg

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My flares had surface scuffs from bouncing around in the box during shipping. Nothing a scotch bright pad didn't take care of before painting. If you do try to prep them yourself, take it easy on them trying to get the scuffs off. Too much sanding or scotchbright will raise little hairs of plastic and you'll have to lightly hit them with an open flame to smooth them back out. The paint will look like **** if you don't.

BTW, they don't look bad unpainted, but since your wheels are more glossy, they'll look bad ass painted. I say leave the little bolts chrome.

Last edited: